South Sudan court martials 60 soldiers

2016-08-29 20:30
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nairobi - Sixty South Sudanese soldiers have been tried before a court martial for alleged crimes committed during last month's fighting in the capital Juba, the army spokesperson said on Monday.

Brigadier-General Lul Ruai Koang told AFP they include looting, murder, shooting and loitering with at least two officers convicted of murder. He said the military is "waiting for presidential approval" before revealing the exact number of those convicted and their sentences.

"They have been tried and the sentences have been passed to the high authorities," Koang said.

However, none of the 60 were charged with rape, despite many reported incidents of sex attacks by government soldiers on civilians and aid workers.

Koang said rape victims had failed to come before the court martial, which was neither held in public nor publicised in advance.

"One problem we have been having is lack of evidence. We have been accused left and right by Human Rights Watch and UNMISS [the UN Mission in South Sudan] but unfortunately they have not come forward with evidence for us to move forward against those who have been suspected of committing the crime," Koang said.

"As we speak now we have not received a single complainant who says or confirms that she has been raped so it has been very difficult for us to bring any soldier to book because of lack of evidence," he said.

Koang added that anyone with evidence should bring it to the military.

Survivors of attacks, human rights groups and the UN all reported many rapes during and after an outbreak of fighting between government and opposition forces in the capital last month threatening an already weak peace agreement.

At least 300 people were killed in the latest violence, and more than 60 000 forced to flee the country.

South Sudan's civil war began in December 2013, but a peace deal signed a year ago has so far failed to end the fighting.

Read more on:    unmiss  |  hrw  |  south sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.