South Sudan monitors demand aid for starvation areas

2016-01-12 15:39


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Juba - Ceasefire monitors in South Sudan called on rival forces on Tuesday to allow food into conflict zones where aid workers have warned tens of thousands may be dying of starvation.

"Only a fraction of the emergency food" is in place "because of restrictions on aid convoys and due to insecurity," said Festus Mogae, a former Botswana president who heads the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC), set up by regional bloc IGAD to ensure a peace deal is implemented.

Last week the UN warned that thousands of civilians have fled fighting and extreme hunger in the past month, as leaders struggle to honour a peace deal on the ground.

In October, UN-backed experts warned of a "concrete risk of famine" in parts of the northern Unity State if fighting were to continue with 30 000 people facing death by starvation outside areas aid workers can reach.

Some aid has been delivered, but civilians report dire conditions and fighting has continued.

"Humanitarian projections suggest things are going to get worse before they get better," Mogae said at a meeting in Juba of the JMEC commission. "The implications are obvious."

Mogae called on both sides to order field commanders to "ensure complete and unconditional cooperation with the humanitarian agencies so that this deficiency can be remedied before it is too late."

Civil war began in December 2013 when President Salva Kiir accused his former deputy Riek Machar of planning a coup, setting off a cycle of retaliatory killings that have split the poverty-stricken country along ethnic lines.

While political efforts are ongoing in a bid to form a unity government, Mogae warned leaders they had to ensure action to create peace was made on the ground.

"The meaning of that new government will be quickly questioned if it does not rapidly address the humanitarian situation the country faces," he said.

Both the government and rebel sides in South Sudan's two-year conflict have been accused of perpetrating ethnic massacres, recruiting and killing children and carrying out widespread rape, torture and forced displacement of populations to "cleanse" areas of their opponents.

Fighting continues, and the conflict now involves multiple militia forces who pay little heed to paper peace deals, driven by local agendas or revenge attacks.

Read more on:    jmec  |  south sudan  |  aid  |  east africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.