Sudan rejects new US travel warning for Americans

2017-03-31 21:08
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Khartoum - Sudan on Friday rejected a new US travel advisory warning Americans against visiting the country, particularly three conflict zones, due to risks of "terrorism and violent crimes".

The latest advisory was issued by the State Department on Thursday and posted on the website of the American embassy in Khartoum. It replaces a previous travel warning issued in January 2016.

It said "terrorist groups are active in Sudan and have stated their intent to harm Westerners and Western interests through suicide operations, bombings, shootings and kidnappings".

"Violent crimes targeting Westerners, including kidnappings, armed robberies, home invasions, and carjacking occur everywhere in Sudan but are particularly prevalent in the Darfur region," it said.

US citizens should also "avoid all travel" to Blue Nile and Southern Kordofan states, two other hotspots in Sudan, it said.

Sudan's foreign ministry rejected the allegations.

"This travel warning contradicts the reality on the ground because US, British and other diplomats have visited Darfur, Blue Nile and Southern Kordofan and moved freely in these areas," a statement said.

"Allegations that there are terrorist groups in Sudan are contradictory to all the praise and appreciation offered by high ranking US officials for Khartoum's role in fighting terrorism and extremism in the region."

The ministry urged the State Department to review the measure, saying improved relations with Washington are necessary and help serve the common goal of fighting terrorism.

The US designated Sudan a state sponsor of terrorism in 1993 and Khartoum has been subject to a US trade embargo since 1997 over its alleged support for Islamist groups.

Before leaving office, president Barack Obama eased the sanctions, but kept Khartoum on the blacklist.

Earlier this month, the foreign ministry summoned the most senior diplomat at the US embassy to protest President Donald Trump's travel ban which bars citizens from six Muslim-majority countries, including Sudan, from entering the United States.

A US judge has halted Trump's travel ban.

Veteran Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir is wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide related to the conflict in Darfur. He denies the charges.

Read more on:    donald trump  |  omar al bashir  |  sudan  |  us  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.