Surgeon warns of 'unbearable atrocities' in DR Congo's east

2016-05-18 10:36


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kinshasa – A leading Congolese surgeon who treats women sexually abused during conflict warned on Tuesday of "unbearable atrocities" being committed in the country's east including the mutilation of babies and the disembowelling of pregnant women.

Denis Mukwege, who is the subject of an acclaimed 2015 film about his efforts to help women raped by the military and militia in the Democratic Republic of Congo, said that more than 600 people had been killed since October 2014.

"The images of these mass atrocities are unbearable: pregnant women who have been disembowelled, mutilated babies, human beings bound and butchered with knives," he wrote in a message to AFP.

Mukwege, who is director of the Panzi Hospital that he founded in 1999 in Bukavu in the east of DRC, called for "radical change of the current system".

He said that the "crimes and cruelties that have plagued the east of the DRC for 20 years had been reborn with a new intensity".

The region has suffered chronic unrest for two decades fuelled by ethnic differences and claims to land, along with bids for control over valuable natural resources and rivalry between regional powers.

New York University's Congo Research Group published a report in March detailing a series of massacres of civilians since October 2014, claiming that soldiers from the regular army participated in the killings.

Tensions running high

DR Congo has been in crisis since President Joseph Kabila's re-election in late 2011 in polls marred by irregularities and massive fraud.

Tensions are running high in the country amid opposition fears that Kabila, in power since 2001, may refuse to leave office at the end of his term this December.

The UN has criticised the recent wave of arbitrary arrests of opposition activists and protesters in the country.

Mukwege's intervention came on the same day as celebrations were being held to mark the 19th anniversary of the date when Kabila's father, Laurent-Desire Kabila, came to power.

Mukwege said the Congolese people feel "abandoned" but hoped that they "are mobilising to achieve the long-awaited change".

Mukwege received the 2014 Sakharov Prize for human rights awarded by the European Parliament for his commitment to women raped during conflict.

Belgian filmmaker Thierry Michel's "The Man Who Mends Women" follows Mukwege's efforts to repair the physical and psychological injuries of the victims of sexual violence.

The film was controversially banned by DRC authorities who claimed there was a "clear intent to harm and sully the image of our army".

Read more on:    joseph kabila  |  drc  |  central africa

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.