Tunisia hunts killer jihadists

2016-03-08 21:04
Tunisian special forces patrol in the southern town of Ben Guerdane, near the Libyan border, during clashes with jihadists after the attack on the border town.  (Fathi Nasri, AFP)

Tunisian special forces patrol in the southern town of Ben Guerdane, near the Libyan border, during clashes with jihadists after the attack on the border town. (Fathi Nasri, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Tunis - Tunisian security forces pressed a search for jihadists near the Libyan border on Tuesday after a deadly raid the authorities described as an unprecedented assault by the Islamic State group.

Analysts said Monday's attacks show that jihadists are keen to spread their influence from Libya to Tunisia and to set up a new stronghold in the country.

Prime Minister Habib Essid said about 50 extremists were believed to have taken part in the co-ordinated dawn attacks on an army barracks and police and National Guard posts in the border town of Ben Guerdane.

He said that 36 attackers had been killed and seven captured in a fierce firefight that also saw the deaths of seven civilians and 12 security force personnel.

Essid told a news conference that the militants "murdered one internal security force member in his own home".

He said three civilians and 14 security personnel were also wounded.

"The [security forces'] reaction was rapid and strong. We won a battle and are prepared for any others," Essid said.

"Now they know Tunisia is no easy pushover and that it is not so simple to set up an emirate in Ben Guerdane."

On Monday, Essid said that the operation's aim had been to create a "Daesh (ISIS) emirate" in the town.

Michael Ayari, an analyst with the International Crisis Group, agreed, saying the attacks were an "extension of the armed conflict so far confined to Libya".

Some ISIS jihadists "consider that Ben Guerdane could become a strategic 'liberated' zone that would include southeastern Tunisia and the Tripoli region," he said.

Manhunt and curfew

Interior ministry spokesperson Yasser Mesbah said the search for any militants still at large was continuing in the border area.

He said a night time curfew imposed in the town after the attack had been well respected and that the situation was "stable".

Essid also called for vigilance and promised a full investigation.

"There are lessons to be learned from this terrorist attack. There will be a thorough assessment of what happened, and we will draw all the conclusions," Essid said.

"It may be that there was a failure at a certain level, that of intelligence, other elements."

Carnegie centre researcher Hamza Meddeb said the attacks could have been to avenge the killing of dozens of people last month in a US air strike on an IS training camp near the Libyan city of Sabratha.

The city lies just 100km from Tunisia's border and several Tunisian militants were said to have been killed in the US raid.

"Some wounded jihadists had said [after the raid] that ISIS would seek revenge by carrying out attacks in Tunisia," said Meddeb.

A US official has said one of those "likely killed" in the February air strike was Noureddine Chouchane, a senior IS operative behind attacks in Tunisia.

'Exterminate these rats'

On Monday, President Beji Caid Essebsi described the attack as "unprecedented" and was "maybe aimed at controlling" the border region, vowing to "exterminate these rats".

The United States and the European Union also condemned the attacks, with Washington offering to help Tunis confront militants.

Residents said the assailants appeared to be natives of the region.

They stopped people, checked their ID cards apparently to seek out members of the security forces, and announced their brief takeover of Ben Guerdane as "liberators".

On Tuesday the authorities said the situation in Ben Guerdane was "stable", and that "large quantities" of arms and ammunition had been recovered.

It was the second deadly clash in the border area in less than a week as Tunisia battles to prevent the large number of its citizens who have joined ISIS in Libya from returning to carry out attacks at home.

Two deadly ISIS attacks on foreign tourists last year that have dealt a devastating blow to Tunisia's tourism industry are believed to have been planned from Libya.

Jihadists have taken advantage of a power vacuum in Libya since the NATO-backed overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 to set up bases in several areas, including near Sabratha.

Tunisia has built a 200km barrier that stretches about half the length of its border with Libya in an attempt to stop militant incursions.

Read more on:    isis  |  tunisia  |  north africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.