UN opposes troop drawdown in DRC

2016-03-30 20:56
UN soldier at Goma. (AP)

UN soldier at Goma. (AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New York - The United Nations on Wednesday decided against cutting back its peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo as fears grow of political turmoil in the vast African country ahead of elections.

The UN Security Council unanimously adopted a French-drafted resolution extending for one year the 20 000-strong MONUSCO mission, rejecting appeals from Kinshasa for a drawdown of the force.

The DRC's foreign minister told the council last week that the force should be halved and UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon had proposed cutting 1 700 troops from the mission.

French Ambassador Francois Delattre said the council had refused to downsize the mission because "the country still faces very important challenges and it is the responsibility of the international community to support it at this time."

The DRC is supposed to hold elections in November, but the chances that they will actually take place are growing dimmer, with President Joseph Kabila suspected of planning to extend his rule after his mandate runs out at the end of the year.

Congolese Ambassador Ignace Gata Mavita charged that the council showed "a lack of flexibility" over its refusal to downsize MONUSCO and warned the decision could undermine the "climate of work on the ground".

The resolution stated that the council would be ready to reconsider the troop level for MONUSCO "once significant progress has been achieved" in rooting out rebel groups in the east and protecting civilians.

The French ambassador said the mission at its current force level would help protect civilians and "support the holding of credible, peaceful and democratic elections".

After several disagreements with Kinshasa over the campaign against rebels in the east, the United Nations withdrew support for military operations in February last year, but decided to restore ties earlier this month.

The return of UN military backing to the Congolese army was agreed during Ban's visit to Kinshasa earlier this month.

UN officials are pushing for the disarming of dozens of rebel and splinter groups after two decades of conflict in the eastern DR Congo, much of it fuelled by the lucrative trade in minerals.

Read more on:    monusco  |  joseph kabila  |  democratic republic of congo  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.