UN repatriates 3 Burundi officers from CAR over abuse claims

2016-02-13 08:26


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

NewYork - The United Nations is sending three Burundian military observers serving in its scandal-tainted Central African Republic peacekeeping mission to their country to face accusations of rights violations

Pierre Niyonzima, Jimmy Rusheshe and Jean Mushimantwari, deployed as military observers, are due to be sent back to Burundi in the coming days, according to a UN source in Bangui, the Central African Republic's capital.

"We received information about these officers after they were deployed that linked them to allegations of human rights violations, so the decision was made to repatriate them," Ismini Palla of the UN peacekeeping department said on Friday.

Authorities in Burundi have been informed of the move.

Everything was in place for the trio to leave the country as quickly as possible, MINUSCA mission spokesperson Vladimir Monteiro told AFP, adding that an internal probe had revealed that the men were not fit to serve in UN ranks.

Relations between the UN and the Burundi government have been tense for some time.

Burundi has been in turmoil since President Pierre Nkurunziza announced plans in April to run for a third term, which he went on to win.

More than 400 people have died in the violence and at least 230 000 have fled the country.

UN Security Council ambassadors traveled to Burundi last month to urge Nkurunziza to open up serious negotiations with the opposition and agree to an international presence.

The United Nations has already announced plans to send back peacekeepers from the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Republic of Congo after troops from those contingents in the same mission faced allegations of sexual abuse.

The MINUSCA mission has been hit by a wave of allegations of sexual abuse of women, girls and boys by peacekeepers.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon fired the head of the 10 000-strong MINUSCA force last year over the mounting number of cases, but the allegations have continued to surface.

An independent panel set up by Ban recently concluded that the United Nations had grossly mishandled the cases, prompting the world body to step up its screening of troops offered by countries for peace missions.

Ban has appointed American Jane Holl Lute, who has served in senior UN peacekeeping positions, as the special coordinator tasked with scaling up the UN response to the allegations of sexual abuse.

Read more on:    un  |  central african republic  |  burundi  |  east africa  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.