UN says ready for talks with Congolese rebels

2017-01-18 20:30
M23 rebels (Picture: AFP)

M23 rebels (Picture: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kinshasa - The UN said on Wednesday it had no confirmation Congolese rebels sheltering in Uganda had crossed back into the Democratic Republic of Congo, but that it was ready for talks with the group if so.

The DRC government said on Sunday that at least 230 members of M23, a mostly ethnic Tutsi rebel group defeated by the Congolese army three years ago, had arrived from Uganda and taken over a village in North Kivu province.

Uganda has denied the claim.

"To this day, we haven't received information or proof confirming the presence of M23 members in the Democratic Republic of Congo," UN peacekeeping mission Monusco's Colonel Felix-Prosper Basse told reporters.

Since the incursion was first reported, Monusco has deployed troops and aircraft to survey all the entry points into DRC, he said.

"We haven't yet gathered any confirmed, reliable information from the ground," Basse said, adding that peacekeepers were working closely with Congolese troops.

"However, we are ready to engage with M23 in the case of an incursion into DRC, and if the lives of the civilian population are threatened," he added.

The Congolese military spokesperson could not be reached for comment.

Uganda mystified 

Ugandan Foreign Minister Henry Okello Oryem on Sunday denied his country had any role in the alleged incursion.

"It is their imagination that Uganda can arm or allow M23 rebels camped here to destabilise DRC. Why should Uganda arm M23 rebels?" he said.

DRC's resource-rich eastern provinces have suffered years of brutal conflict, with neighbouring states backing rebel groups in a civil war against Kinshasa's authority, and roaming armed militia triggering the mass flight of terrorised civilians.

In 2012, former members of a Tutsi militia who had been integrated into the Congolese army mutinied, claiming that a peace deal signed on March 23, 2009 had not been respected.

The M23 rebels wreaked havoc in the east, even managing to briefly seize the regional capital Goma.

After its November 2013 defeat at the hands of Congolese and UN forces, M23 agreed to a plan to disarm, demobilise and reintegrate its soldiers into civilian life in DRC.

But the return of the former rebels has stalled, with fewer than 200 of the 1 900 sheltering in Uganda and only 13 out of hundreds left in Rwanda coming back.

Read more on:    m23  |  drc  |  uganda  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.