UN warns 'large-scale crisis' possible in DRC

2016-09-22 19:00
Joseph kabila. (File: AFP)

Joseph kabila. (File: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kinshasa - The UN rights chief on Thursday said the Democratic Republic of Congo had used "excessive force" during deadly clashes with demonstrators in the capital and called on Kinshasa to reach out to the opposition to avert a "large-scale crisis"

"The authorities need to pull back from their extremely confrontational position and build bridges with the opposition," Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said in a statement issued in Geneva in the wake of confrontations between security forces and opposition protesters in Kinshasa on Monday and Tuesday.

Zeid said the violence, marked by many civilian deaths and attacks on opposition headquarters, "provide a stark warning that a large-scale crisis could be just around the corner."

"The writing is on the wall," he said.

On Wednesday, DRC police said 32 people had been killed during the violence, while the opposition reported "more than 100 dead", some of them burned alive.

Zeid's office put the toll at at least 50, with four police officers among the dead.

Gunshots 

Opposition groups had organised demonstrations on Monday to demand the resignation of President Joseph Kabila, who has ruled since 2001 and, under the constitution, should step down on December 20.

Kabila is yet to call elections, fanning fears he plans to stay in power.

"Some civilians were killed by gunshots to the head or chest, and I strongly condemn the clearly excessive use of force by defence and security forces against demonstrators in the capital," Zeid said.

The human rights chief called on the government to withdraw personnel of the Republican Guard - a military unit under the direct control of the head of state - from the streets of the capital and to instead deploy "properly trained police forces with appropriate equipment for crowd control."

On Wednesday, police spokesperson Pierre-Rombaut Mwana-Mputu defended the security deployment in Kinshasa during the unrest.

"The national police was backed by members of the (army) to stop the acts of looting and vandalism," he told reporters.

Spat with France

More than a 100 soldiers were posted on Thursday at the Limete junction where Monday's protest march began.

Also Thursday, Kinshasa lashed out at French President Francois Hollande over his criticism of the DRC government's handling of the protests.

Spokesman Lambert Mende said he wondered "whether DRC had become a new overseas territory resulting from new (French) conquests."

He accused Hollande of scolding Kinshasa "in the tone of a schoolmaster" and of being selective in his compassion towards the victims of the unrest.

At a news conference at the United Nations in New York on Tuesday, Hollande called the violence "unacceptable and intolerable" and denounced the burning of opposition premises.

"The constitution must be respected and elections must take place," he said.

'Day of national mourning' 

Kabila's political foes have formed a "Gathering" around the opposition Union for Democracy and Social Progress (UDPS) party founded by veteran Etienne Tshisekedi, 83, who has called himself the country's "president elect" since the last presidential poll in November 2011, which was marred by massive fraud.

Leaders of the Gathering were set to meet Thursday afternoon to "decide on a day of national mourning during the burial of our fighters killed by the regime", UDPS spokesman Bruno Tshibala told AFP.

"We plan to go in a cortege to the cemetery, with president Tshisekedi at our head," he added.

Tshibala accused Health Minister Felix Kabange Numbi of doing the rounds "of the morgues to take away the bodies of our fighters", after Kinshasa's governor Andre Kimbuta said that city authorities would take charge of funerals.

Numbi was unavailable for comment on the allegation.

Kabila's office has accused the opposition of having transformed Monday's march into "bloody riots", while Tshibala described the violence as a "fire" planned by a "bloodthirsty government".

The head of state, who was first placed in power at the height of the Second Congolese War after his father Laurent-Desire Kabila was murdered by a palace adjutant, is under pressure from the United Nations and Western powers to step aside.

The UN Security Council called on Wednesday for the restoration of calm and for "credible elections" in the vast, mineral-rich country.

Read more on:    us  |  joseph kabila  |  drc  |  central africa  |  drc 2016 elections

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.