US asks UN to back South Sudan regional force

2016-08-09 09:28
Sudan People's Liberation Army-in opposition soldiers gather at a containment site in the south Sudanese capital, Juba. (File, Charles  Lomodong, AFP)

Sudan People's Liberation Army-in opposition soldiers gather at a containment site in the south Sudanese capital, Juba. (File, Charles Lomodong, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New York - The United States has asked the UN Security Council to send a 4 000-strong regional force to South Sudan's capital of Juba to impose an arms embargo if the government blocks the deployment.

A draft resolution presented to the council would establish the regional protection force and authorise it to "use all necessary means" to provide security in Juba and deter attacks against UN bases, according to the text.

Under the proposed measure, the council would vote on imposing an arms embargo on South Sudan if UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon reports that there are "impediments" to the deployment.

Ban would provide a detailed report within 14 days of the adoption of the resolution, according to the draft.

The regional force would come under the command of the UN mission known as Unmiss, which has faced criticism for failing to protect tens of thousands of civilians sheltering in its bases.

The draft resolution would task the new force with protecting the airport, ensuring free movement in Juba and authorise it to "promptly and effectively" deter any attacks against UN personnel or premises.

It urges countries in the region to contribute troops to ensure that the new force can be on the ground "as soon as possible", according to the draft text.

A vote on the measure could take place this week.

Juba was rocked by several days of heavy fighting in early July between the government forces of President Salva Kiir and those loyal to ex-rebel chief Riek Machar, the latest upsurge in two and a half years of war.

Nearly 300 people died in the violence and two Chinese peacekeepers were killed in an attack on a UN base, where thousands of civilians rushed for safety.

Ban had called for an arms embargo and targeted sanctions following the flare-up in violence. Late last month, he told the council that South Sudan remained "on the brink of an abyss".

African leaders last month approved a plan to dispatch a regional force to South Sudan and on Friday, the East African bloc IGAD said it had secured agreement from the government in Juba for the deployment.

The draft resolution would also extend the mandate of Unmiss until December 15, 2016.

Read more on:    un  |  us  |  south sudan

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.