US, EU slam DRC army for using 'excessive force'

2017-09-21 10:10
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kinshasa - The United States and European Union on Wednesday urged Congolese security forces to refrain from using "excessive force" after soldiers fired on Burundian refugees last week, killing over 30.

"The US government is dismayed by the violence and death of more than 30 Burundian nationals and a Congolese soldier in Kamanyola, in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo," State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said in a statement.

"We urge the security forces of the DRC to refrain from using excessive force".

According to Monusco, the UN's peacekeeping mission in the country, at least 36 refugees in Kamanyola, in the eastern province of South Kivu, were killed during violent clashes on Friday. A Congolese soldier also died.

Government spokesman Lambert Mende claimed on Saturday that many of those killed were members of an "armed group".

According to interior ministry official Josue Boji, the clashes began after a group of refugees overran a jail run by the country's domestic intelligence agency to demand the release of four Burundians who had been arrested for expulsion on Wednesday night.

Boji said troops tried to disperse the refugees by "firing in the air but were overwhelmed" when the group responded by throwing stones. At least 124 refugees were wounded.

The DRC government opened an inquiry into the deaths on Sunday.

"The cause of the violence must be determined and perpetrators must be held accountable," Nauert said.

She added that the Congolese government should work with the UN refugee agency and UN peacekeepers "to ease tensions between Burundi refugees and their host population".

In an earlier statement, the European Union's delegation in Kinshasa said Congolese soldiers "must respect international norms.

"Congolese security forces cannot resort to disproportionate force," it said.

Tens of thousands of Burundians have fled to the eastern DRC to escape a wave of violence that unfurled in 2015 after Burundian President Pierre Nkurunziza sought a fiercely contested third term in office.

Overall, the violence in Burundi has claimed between 500 and 2 000 lives, according to differing tolls provided by the UN or NGOs and more than 400 000 Burundians have fled abroad.

Read more on:    monusco  |  drc  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.