Zimbabwe

Sable smuggling charges against Zim hunter dropped - Lawyer

2015-09-17 11:37
Theo Bronkhorst. (File: AFP)

Theo Bronkhorst. (File: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Special Report

Zim moots plan to make Grace Mugabe orphanage a tourism attraction - report
Zim moots plan to make Grace Mugabe orphanage a tourism attraction - report

Planning a trip to Zimbabwe? Tourists may soon be able to visit an orphanage and school run by First Lady Grace Mugabe because officials believe it paints a "good picture" of the country, according to a report.

Harare - Prosecutors in Zimbabwe have been forced to drop a charge relating to the smuggling of sable antelopes against professional hunter, Theo Bronkhorst - of Cecil the lion fame - his lawyer said on Thursday.

But that does not mean he cannot still be charged in connection with the alleged crime.

But Bronkhorst, who was behind the illegal hunting of Cecil in July by an American dentist, now faces a fresh charge over the possession of wildlife trophies, it has emerged.

The Zimbabwean hunter was arrested on Monday in Bulawayo following the discovery at the weekend of 29 sable antelopes in trucks stuck at an illegal border crossing to South Africa.

First reports said two of the sable antelopes had died but there is a conflicting claim that the pair may have escaped.

Three South Africans have also been detained.

Global outrage

Cecil's killing sparked a wave of global outrage, much of it directed against the hunting industry.

Advocate Perpetua Dube said prosecutors on Wednesday had attempted to put Bronkhorst on remand over the smuggling of the sable antelopes "which we obviously resisted because he had not been given any factual particulars for the charge".

In an interview, she said the state decided to withdraw that charge before plea. "When the state withdraws a charge before plea, it means that they have to go back, put their house in order and decide whether they will or they will not [charge him].

"They may still charge him," Dube added. She said Bronkhorst denied owning the sable antelopes found in the trucks.

The official Chronicle newspaper said the sable antelope smuggling charges had been withdrawn "for lack of evidence".

The new charge against the hunter stems from the discovery of 29 animal skins and 10 animal skulls at his house on Monday. Prosecutors said he was supposed to have moved them by Saturday. Bronkhorst denies the charge and has paid bail, Dube says.

The lawyer said: "The charge is that he moved and possessed a trophy contrary to the conditions of a permit. He has a permit to move and possess the trophies but they say he contravened the terms of the permit."

Read more on:    theo bronkhorst  |  zimbabwe  |  southern africa  |  animals

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

SHARE:

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.