Second Zim lion 'illegally' killed

2015-08-05 14:39


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Harare - A second lion illegally killed near where Cecil died in Zimbabwe was not wearing a collar, conservationists say.

The lion was "old enough to be kicked out of the pride but not to fight for or establish a territory yet", said the well-respected Bhejane Trust in a statement.

"It was not collared," the Trust added.

Thirteen-year-old Cecil was wearing a collar and was being tracked by researchers when he was killed last month.

There are claims that at least four or five collared lions have been killed by hunters in the western Hwange area so far this year.

A paper published on the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority's (Zimparks) website recommends that lion hunting, where it is permitted, should only be allowed for lions aged 5 to 6 years old or above. The paper says that by this age, lions have usually had a chance to sire a litter.

Illegal hunting

Headman Sibanda, 55, who is being held by police in Victoria Falls will likely appear in court on Wednesday over the killing of the (unnamed) second lion, with a bow and arrow, by US doctor Jan Seski, state media reports.

Sibanda is alleged to have contracted a professional hunter, named by the Bulawayo-based Chronicle newspaper, as John Zvinashe to help hunt this lion.

The Bhejane Trust said that Sibanda had "previous convictions" for illegal hunting and he appeared to be engaged in "quota transfer", an illegal practice whereby hunters mis-state the location of their hunt to the authorities.

"He had a permit for a lion in Lupane, where lions have not been seen for many years," the trust said in a statement.

There are conflicting claims over exactly when this killing occurred, with the Bhejane Trust saying it occurred on July 3 "just after Cecil."

But the Chronicle, apparently sticking to an earlier statement from the state Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, says it was in April.

Professional hunter Theo Bronkhorst, who was behind Cecil's killing, appeared in court last week in Hwange over the killing.

He was due to appear in court again on Wednesday but the case was postponed to September 28, reports from the town say.

The head of the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association Louis Muller has recommended that Bronkhorst's licence be revoked for life, according to state broadcaster ZBC.

Read more on:    theo bronkhorst  |  zimbabwe  |  southern africa  |  animals

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.


24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.