Zimbabwe needs $300m for food imports

2015-06-16 15:40
Sack with dollars from Shutterstock

Sack with dollars from Shutterstock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Harare- The fact that Zimbabwe has to find $300m to import food this year because of a massive drop in maize production is due to the ruling party's ruinous agricultural policies, the main opposition party said Tuesday.

The situation in Zimbabwe could not be "more desperate than what it is right now", said Obert Gutu, a spokesperson for the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) led by Morgan Tsvangirai.

Zimbabwe used to be known as the breadbasket of Southern Africa. On Monday, Vice President Emmerson Mnangagwa said $300m was needed for food imports.

"For the record, I want to assure that government will do all in its power to ensure that no one starves and that everyone gets food of adequate nutritional value," Mnangagwa told state-run ZBC radio.

Mnangagwa, who was speaking at the launch of a report by the UN World Food Programme, said maize production had decreased by 49% and hoped the next harvest would be "significantly better than this one".

The US-funded Famine Early Warning Systems Network has warned that food shortages could reach crisis levels by July if there was no food aid.

President Robert Mugabe’s government insists that the poor harvests since the launch of a programme of takeovers of white-owned farms in 2000 were due to drought.

The 91-year-old however admitted earlier this year that some new black farmers were unable to manage their farms. Support had largely tailed off for small-scale farmers, who in the past produced sizeable maize crops.

Gutu said in a statement: "Robert Mugabe and his rogue administration are bankrupt and are unable to harness adequate financial resources in order to import the maize that is now urgently required."

Former education minister David Coltart, a member of a smaller MDC grouping, said in a tweet on Tuesday: "Until we grant title to land holders and reverse ZANUPF's destructive policy of making land dead capital we will never address food security."

The official Herald newspaper said the $300m was being sourced "from different stakeholders".

Read more on:    mdc  |  zanu-pf  |  zimbabwe  |  southern africa  |  farming

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.


24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.