Rhodesian pensioners in SA 'turn destitute' as Mugabe govt 'scraps payouts'

2017-09-12 13:06
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Harare – Zimbabwean pensioners who served under the Rhodesian government before relocating to South Africa have reportedly turned destitute after President Robert Mugabe's government "scrapped their payouts without explanation".

According to NewsDay, an organisation set up to keep track of the affected pensioners and their welfare, Flame Lily Foundation, said its 300 members aged between 78 and 101 had been "dumped" by the Zimbabwean government.

The pensioners were said to have relocated to South Africa at independence in 1980.

"We established a project to assist those who were destitute and whose only income was a South African state welfare grant," Flame Lily Foundation national secretary John Redfern was quoted as saying.

"In 2012, the Zimbabwe Government Pension Master let us know that pensioners in South Africa could apply for their pension to be restored.

"With our assistance, over 500 pensioners were able to regain their lost pensions, backdated to 2009 when Zimbabwe adopted the US dollar as the country's official currency.

Worsening cash crisis 

"Due to a change in policy, most of these pensioners have not received any payment since August 2016 and are now facing renewed financial hardship."

Zimbabwe's labour and social welfare minister Priscah Mupfumira, however, said she was not aware of the issue, adding that if the pensioners were living outside the country then "maybe forex would be the issue".

The pensioners had since sought British ambassador to Zimbabwe Catriona Laing's mediation in attempts to restore payouts, NewsDay said.

This came as reports indicated that Zimbabwe's cash crisis was worsening, with many in the country fearing a rerun of the last economic crunch which peaked in 2008, when "bearer cheques" lost value rapidly and hyperinflation chased goods from shop shelves.

The country's central bank announced recently that it will in the next two weeks release 300 million dollars' worth of new bond notes.

The state-run Sunday News quoted central bank chief John Mangudya as saying these notes, like the first 200 million released in November, would be  backed by a loan from the African Export-Import Bank.

Read more on:    zimbabwe  |  sa  |  southern africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.