Zanu-PF's accusations ridiculous, outdated - outgoing French envoy

2016-07-15 12:23
File: AFP

File: AFP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Harare – Outgoing French ambassador to Zimbabwe, Laurent Delahousse, has denied claims that he was behind the recent unrest in the southern African country, a report said on Friday.

According to New Zimbabwe, the French ambassador, however, insisted that Zimbabweans had a right to protest.

Speaking from his home in the capital Harare, Delahousse blasted the ruling Zanu-PF government's accusations, saying that the ideology that informed them was outdated.

Delahousse said that although he supported the demonstrations, he rejected the recent accusations levelled against him by President Robert Mugabe's government that he was behind the protests.

"I make no excuse (for backing the protests) and I discard with disdain the ridiculous accusation against me reported earlier. They (allegations) belong to an outdated and irrelevant ideology that is not helping the country to adapt to the reality of the world today," Delahousse was quoted as saying.

The state-owned Herald newspaper reported recently that the Zimbabwean government believed that Delahousse, together with his American counterpart Harry Thomas, were behind the recent upheavals that had engulfed the country.

Presidential spokesperson - who also doubles as the permanent secretary for information, media and broadcasting services - George Charamba took a swipe at the two ambassadors, saying they ought to be advising their own governments before advising Zimbabwe.

The southern African country has in recent weeks been hit by a wave of protests, as Zimbabweans demanded that the government act on the ongoing economic hardships. 

The country came to an abrupt standstill after Zimbabweans downed tools last week on Wednesday.

Many businesses, shops, and schools were closed, while public transport and some government departments and courts also ceased to function.

Following the successful stayaway, the organisers of the event called for a similar event on Wednesday and Thursday this week. 

However, the response was muted after reports indicating that the government had threatened a crackdown on any protests in the country.

Read more on:    robert mugabe  |  zimbabwe  |  zimbabwe protest  |  southern africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.


Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.