ANC Inc’s dodgy partners

2011-07-02 18:48

Questions are being asked about the ANC Progressive Business Forum’s (PBF) choice of partners who courted Mauritian investors and state dignitaries last month.

The visit by a 45-member delegation of the forum was led by ANC treasurer-general Mathews Phosa and included Deputy Tourism Minister Thokozile Xasa.

It has reignited criticism that the ANC-aligned business body is improperly “selling” influence with ANC government leaders to businesspeople who join it.

City Press has established that the delegation – one of 14 to date?– was peppered with controversial figures, including:
» Nandipha Daphne (Nandi) Madiba, a former chief finance ­officer of the Sol Plaatje municipality in Kimberley, who is being investigated by the Hawks for ­allegedly continuing ­payments worth millions to a ­dubious tender group after a court interdict ­prohibited her from making the payments;

» Xholile Elson Dasheka, one of the directors of the Tau Pele ­Construction group which allegedly submitted a falsified application for a R250-million tender for the Free State legislature leading to the high court overturning the tender award; and

» Makone Consulting Engineers, which was linked to a Hawks investigation regarding alleged tender fraud of R33 million connected to the construction of the World Cup stadium in Rustenburg. Police are investigating the murder of ANC councillor Moss Phakoe, who was killed shortly after blowing the whistle on the alleged irregularities in the stadium deal and other projects in the area.

The allegations against these companies stand in stark contrast to the forum’s official documentation that it is open to all companies that “commit themselves to sound and ethical business conduct”.

Daryl Swanepoel, a co-convenor of the forum, said on Friday that the allegations against their members were serious, but that he needed more information to decide if they needed to take action.

“Any South African company committed to the principles of sound and ethical business conduct can join the forum and of course we will be disappointed should any of our subscribing companies stumble. We have literally thousands of companies participating in the programme,” said a statement late on Friday night by PBF co-convenors, Swanepoel and former deputy health minister Renier Schoeman.

“It appears that much of the allegations are still under legal scrutiny ... ?We will therefore not be in a position to take a considered ­decision regarding these companies’ future continued participation in the programme until the ­legal processes have run their course and we have been in a ­position to do our own investigation ­into the validity and extent of the allegations.”

Madiba – who left the South ­African Revenue Service in 2004 following allegations of corruption and nepotism?– claimed to be unaware of the Sol Plaatje probe. She said she had gone on the forum trip as a “proxy for an associate”.

Dasheka disputed claims that his company submitted false information in the tender applications and claimed to be delivering on the contract.

City Press has a copy of the court order which overturned the tender award and competitor company, Haw and Inglis, which brought the court action against Tau Pele, confirmed this week that the court judgment stood and that they were working on the project. Dasheka did not answer further questions.

Makone director Rantshonyane John Koloko and his wife, Sethepele Rebecca Modipane, who accompanied him to Mauritius, did not reply to messages this week.

In June last year their company was publicly named as the subject of a major Hawks inquiry into alleged tender irregularities in Rustenburg.

Police spokesperson Vish Naidoo said the Hawks investigation was at a “sensitive stage” and the investigators did not wish to comment.

Schoeman insisted the forum paid all the costs of the ministers attending its functions. He did not want to make available the complete member list, which they say now exceeds more than 5 000 companies.

The Presidency did not reply to questions on whether ministers had been given official permission to attend forum trips.


Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.