ANC won't be ungrateful winners – Malusi Gigaba

2014-05-11 14:38

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The ANC cannot satisfy everyone and will not be ungrateful winners in this year's elections, Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba has said.

"The ANC can't win a whopping 62% and then complain about the other 38%," he told reporters today at party headquarters Luthuli House, Johannesburg.

"We would be ungrateful winners by questioning how we lost that 38%."

Gigaba, who was also the head of the African National Congress's elections campaign, said the ruling party was humbled by the win.

"We are very grateful winners. We are humbled. We are not complaining at all. We will not seek to try and satisfy everyone."

The party believed even the media was against it in the run-up to the national and provincial elections.

"You campaigned hard against the ANC and we beat you. We defeated you," Gigaba told journalists.

"We know you never loved us. And we don't have a problem with that. Our only concern was whether the people loved and trusted us."

Gigaba said the party would analyse the voting patterns in the election.

ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe said the results showed the ANC's support base was "rock solid".

"The results of our work are qualitatively and quantitatively felt and appreciated by our people over a period of time.

"The people of South Africa have once again given us an overwhelming mandate to continue with the work we started ... in 1994."

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.