AWB ‘hit squad’ behind Griekwastad murders – claim

2013-10-31 12:36

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says it is aware of claims by a female member of the Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging (AWB) that an AWB “hit squad” carried out the murders of three members of a Griekwastad family on their Northern Cape farm last year.

Kimberley daily, the Diamond Fields Advertiser, reported today that Cornelia de Wet (37) confessed her alleged role in the murders. She implicated the owner of a local security company as being the mastermind of the farm attack, saying it was carried out in order to incite racial hatred and instil a sense of fear among local farmers, which would force farmers to make use of his security services.

Deon Steenkamp (44), his wife Christel (43), and their 14-year-old daughter Marthella were killed on their farm Naauwhoek on April 6 2012. Their son survived the attack.

The SA Press Association reported that the trial of a 17-year-old boy accused of murdering the family will resume in the Northern Cape High Court in Kimberley on November 4.

According to the Diamond Fields Advertiser, the teenager’s legal team met with De Wet, who is currently in custody in Kimberley. She named three men who were involved in the attack on the Steenkamp family, and claimed an amount of R100 000 was paid for the “hit”.

She also explained what transpired on the farm on the morning of the murders, including how the daughter was raped and the parents were shot. She claimed that Deon Steenkamp’s last words were “God forgive them”.

De Wet said she had been a member of the AWB since the age of 15, and was arrested on charges relating to high treason, terrorism, and the possession of ammunition and explosives.

She told the newspaper that she decided to come clean because the truth was haunting her, and she knew the accused was not guilty of the murders.

Griekwastad and Kimberley police officials declined to comment when approached by News24.

NPA spokesperson Mashudu Malabi told News24 that the investigating authorities are aware of the claims made by De Wet, but the trial will still continue. “The trial against the accused, who is a minor, will still proceed. We expect the trial to continue throughout the month of November unless a decision is made by the judge to postpone it,” said Malabi.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.