Amcu will ‘do its best’ to ensure peaceful strike

2014-01-23 08:27

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) will do its best to stage a peaceful strike on the platinum mines in Rustenburg in the North West, says an official.

“We have increased the number of marshals to ensure that the strike is peaceful,” said coordinator Evans Ramokga this morning.

“Amcu is a majority union with about 90% of the workforce. The remaining 10% will report for duty but as in any strike, some will not go to work fearing for their lives.

“This time our strike will be peaceful. Marshals will ensure that no one is intimidated or attacked while going to work.”

He said non-striking workers were reporting for work at the Khuseleka shaft of Amplats.

“No one has been attacked or intimidated for going to work.”

Amcu members at Lonmin in Marikana, Anglo American Platinum and Impala mines started a strike today pushing for an entry-level monthly salary of R12 500.

On Tuesday, the companies said Amcu’s wage demands were unaffordable and unrealistic.

“It is of great concern to the platinum companies that employees are being made promises by Amcu that cannot be delivered upon,” the platinum companies CEOs said in a joint statement.

Impala Platinum cancelled last night’s shift at its Rustenburg operations and will continue to do so for the duration of Amcu’s planned strike, the company said.

This was to mitigate the risk of violence and to ensure the safety of their employees, said spokeswoman Alice Lourens.

“There will be employees reporting for duty in daylight so they do not have to travel in darkness,” she said.

“During the period of the strike, there will be no night shift.”

North West police said yesterday they were ready for the planned strike. As a legal strike, it was the organisers’ responsibility to ensure the strike was peaceful and picketing rules were adhered to, said Brigadier Thulani Ngubane.

“Members of the SA Police Service [and] public order policing will be deployed to ensure peace and security of the striking mine workers and the public.”

Strikers are not allowed to interfere with public order, destroy property or intimidate non-strikers.

“We have the responsibility to ensure that the laws of the republic are enforced where there is disregard,” he said.

“Safety and security is a shared responsibility and the North West provincial commissioner Zukiswa Mbombo calls upon all parties to play their part in managing the strike.”

A total of 44 people were killed in a violent strike at Lonmin’s Marikana operations in August 2012 – 34 were killed on August 16 2012 when the police fired at them. Another 10, including two policemen and two security guards, were killed in the preceding week.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.