Appeal against e-tolls set for Friday

2013-01-22 08:50

The High Court in Pretoria will hear an application to appeal against e-tolling on Friday.

“Outa remains committed to this case, which largely seeks to protect citizen’s constitutional rights, along with challenging the onerous, expensive, inefficient and cumbersome matters related to the decision to toll Gauteng’s freeways,” the Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance (Outa) said in a statement today.

The appeal follows a judgment on December 13 by the High Court in Pretoria, which dismissed Outa’s application to have the electronic tolling of Gauteng’s major roads scrapped.

The court ordered Outa to pay the legal costs of the application. Outa said it also intended appealing this order.

Outa was raising funds for the appeal, and called on business and the public to lend their support.

“We are heartened by the fact that society has helped us raise R8 million to date, however we are still R2.5 million short to cover current costs and still require an estimated R15 million for the appeal process.”

Previously, Outa chairman Musa Strachan said the organisation believed it had strong grounds for appeal.

The constitutional interpretation of Section 27 of the Sanral Act required that the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) should have given adequate notice to the public of the proposed project.

“Public participation requires that sufficient information about the project must be provided .... such that those impacted are empowered with knowledge and time to have the ability, if so required, to exert a possible effect on the outcome of the decision,” he said.

Strachan said in the e-tolling case, public participation was not possible “yet the court ruled that public engagement was sufficient and adequate”.

In this regard, Outa maintains that procedural and objective fairness had not been applied, making e-tolls introduction unlawful, he said.

SHARE:

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Inside News24

 
/News
 

WATCH: W Cape govt responds to new SA road rules

The National Department of Transport has drafted a series of new road regulations. Siphesihle Dube, spokesperson for the Western Cape MEC of transport responds...

 

Stay safe

WATCH: W Cape govt responds to new SA road rules
SA's new road rules: What YOU say...
New SA road rules: 20km/h speed cuts
Takata air-bag saga: Honda hit hardest
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

It may be hard to be light and jovial at the moment as the list of obligations and jobs are growing and your energy levels are...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.