Axed actors’ last-ditch bid against new Generations

2015-03-22 15:00

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Fourteen of the 16 Generations’ actors fired from the popular soapie after a labour dispute last year have made their final court bid to take the new series off air.

In their application filed at the South Gauteng High Court on Thursday, the Generations Actors’ Guild say the new Generations The Legacy is “unconstitutional” and “invalid”, as procurement regulations were flouted.

However, the names of two of the old soapie’s principal actors – Sophie Ndaba and Winnie Ntshaba – were left off the list of applicants in papers filed by lawyer Bulelani Mzamo.

There were no accompanying affidavits from the popular stars.

Ndaba and Ntshaba’s legal representative, Advocate Nkateko Maluleke, confirmed that the duo were no longer part of the “Generations 16”, due to contractual obligations.

“Secondly, they have other business interests. But they still strongly believe in the objectives of the 14 other actors,” said Maluleke.

In the court application against Generations creator Mfundi Vundla’s company and the SABC, the 14 actors say the SABC violated procurement prescripts contained in the Constitution by commissioning a new show while there were still contracts in place for the previous show, which were only set to expire in December 2016.

They added that, whenever a public entity wished to procure services, “it must do so in accordance with a procedure that is fair, competitive, cost effective, transparent and equitable”, which they claim was not the case.

“The production and broadcasting of Generations The Legacy will also have to be cancelled, since the parties involved in its commissioning flaunted every procurement guideline that should have been adhered to,” Mzamo said yesterday.

“These agreements cost more than R60?million of the taxpayers’ money per annum – and to cancel them midway at the slightest provocation is just unconscionable.”

According to Vundla, this is “old news” and the actors “must get a life and move on”.

“We have a very different story line. We are not going back,” said Vundla.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago was unavailable for comment yesterday.

The drama around the popular local soapie began last August when 16 actors went on strike demanding better salaries. As a result, Vundla’s MMSV Productions terminated their contracts.

Since then, many of the actors have moved on with their careers, joining new prime time shows on other channels, including e.tv and Mzansi Magic – proving there is indeed life after Generations.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.