BSA gives diabetic Simba green light for next bout

2014-11-16 15:00

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

In a surprise move, heavyweight boxer Flo Simba has been granted a licence to fight even though he is diabetic.

This has cast another negative light on the credibility of Boxing SA (BSA) – this time over its apparent inability to monitor boxers appropriately.

But the sanctioning body believes there is nothing untoward in granting the fighter a licence to get back into the ring.

Born in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the 25-year-old fighter has not fought for two years since he was stopped in the first round by Thabiso Mchunu at Emperors Palace, east of Joburg, in September 2012.

It was the second loss he had suffered inside the distance in the same year.

Since then, the man once primed for the International Boxing Organisation heavyweight title fight has been inactive.

A source close to Simba told City Press he was surprised to learn the fighter’s licence had been renewed despite his diagnosis.

“This is the first time in my many years of involvement in boxing that I hear of a fighter who is diabetic and is allowed to box despite his condition. This is shocking,” said the source.

Simba, who has a record of 12 wins and four defeats in 16 paid fights, confirmed his diabetic status. He said he had obtained his licence three weeks ago.

“In fact, I know this sounds risky, but I guess this cannot stop me from boxing.

“I’m able to treat myself by bringing down my sugar levels,” said Simba. “I’m fit and raring to get back into the ring. I’m happy that my licence has been cleared,” he said.

Simba’s trainer, Harold “the Hammer” Volbrecht, said his charge was fit and ready to fight despite his condition.

“Simba sometimes experiences dizzy spells at the gym, but this is brought under control.

“We always ensure that, among other things, he eats and trains well,” said Volbrecht.

According to the trainer, there were plans in the pipeline for Simba to have his next fight on December 3. Asked to comment, BSA Gauteng manager Archie Nyingwa said: “We don’t see anything wrong in him being given a licence. This is not a serious matter.”

»?Meanwhile, Ethembeni Promotions will stage the SA junior featherweight title fight between champion Jasper Seroke and challenger Koos Sibiya at Expo Centre Johannesburg on Sunday.

There will be five other bouts on the bill.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.