Bluelight protester to sue cops

2010-02-25 14:43

The Cape Town man who was arrested for gesturing at President Jacob

Zuma’s blue light convoy is pressing ahead with a damages claim against the

police, his lawyer said today.

“This claim will be instituted in the high court and counsel has

been briefed accordingly,” said Port Elizabeth attorney Neil O’Brien.

He also said the student, Chumani Maxwele, had been told by police

to make a written apology to Zuma, and had not done so voluntarily.

Maxwele was arrested on February 10 by members of Zuma’s VIP

protection unit after gesturing – according to police, with his middle finger –

at the convoy as his passed him on a Cape Town road.

He was held overnight and released without being charged.

Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa later released a sworn statement in

which Maxwele apologised to Zuma and the police.

However, O’Brien said that according to Maxwele, the “apology” was

written on the instruction of a member of the police at the Mowbray police

station.

This was while he was still in detention, and after he had been

denied the opportunity to contact an attorney.

“Our client was told by the said member to write anything that

would justify his release, and was promised that he would then be detained only

for a few more hours,” O’ Brien said.

“Our client was further told to insert at the end of the letter the

following apology, to facilitate his release: ‘Mr President JG Zuma, without any

conditions attached, I apologise to you as well as to the Republic of South

Africa’.”

O’Brien said that for a charge of crimen injuria against Zuma to

stand, Zuma himself would have to have been aware of and offended by Maxwele’s

behavior.

“In light of the fact that the president has denied any knowledge

of the incident, there can be no question of any impairment of his

dignity.”

Maxwele denied having criminal “records” for common assault and

riotous behaviour.

Though he had been charged with those offences, both charges were

withdrawn.

Maxwele also denied pointing his middle finger at the president’s

convoy.

“Our client merely waived [sic] the convoy on in response to the

noise made by them,” O’Brien said.


Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.