CNN to can Piers Morgan show

2014-02-24 08:54

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Los Angeles – CNN has decided to end the marquee prime-time talk show hosted by veteran British journalist Piers Morgan.

A date for the final broadcast of Piers Morgan Live on CNN had not been determined and a spokesperson did not immediately say if Morgan would remain at the network in any other role.

A CNN source said network president Jeffrey Zucker had made the decision to cancel the show after a series of discussions with Morgan about its future.

Morgan (48) could not immediately be reached for comment but acknowledged in a New York Times interview published yesterday that as a Brit he did not always connect with US audiences, a problem that showed itself in the programme’s ratings.

“It’s been a painful period and lately we have taken a bath in the ratings,” Morgan, a former editor of the Daily Mirror tabloid in Britain, told the Times.

The talk show host had infuriated conservatives during his three-year run on CNN with frequent discourses on gun control.

He was the subject of a petition drive by Americans seeking to have him deported for on-air comments he made after a December 2012 shooting rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.

“Look, I am a British guy debating American cultural issues, including guns, which has been very polarising, and there is no doubt there are many in the audience who are tired of me banging on about it,” Morgan told the Times.

“That’s run its course and Jeff and I have been talking for some time about different ways of using me,” he said.

Morgan, a former judge on the “America’s Got Talent” show who replaced Larry King on CNN in 2011, said earlier this month that he had been questioned by London police in connection with accusations of phone-hacking at the Daily Mirror.

The veteran journalist, who has always denied any involvement in phone hacking, said he was interviewed by police after voluntarily going to a London police station in December.

Britain’s newspaper industry was rocked in 2011 by the closure of Rupert Murdoch’s best-selling Sunday tabloid News of the World after revelations that some staff had regularly hacked into phones to generate front-page scoops.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.