Charges against journo to be dropped

2010-09-07 10:04

Charges against Sunday Times journalist Mzilikazi Wa Afrika and his co-accused Victor Mlimi will be provisionally withdrawn, a National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson has said.

“The case docket containing evidential material was submitted to prosecutors in the NPA.

“After perusing the case docket we are of the view that it is desirable that the matter be fully investigated prior to taking a decision on whether or not to prosecute,” read a statement by advocate Mthunzi Mhaga.

“We therefore deem it appropriate that the charges be provisionally withdrawn pending further investigations.”

Wa Afrika and Mlimi had faced charges of fraud, forgery and uttering after being arrested by members of the Mpumalanga police and the Hawks in August.

The arrest of the pair related to alleged possession of a resignation letter by Mpumalanga premier David Mabuza, which the presidency has said is a fake.

The NPA said once investigations had been concluded, the docket would be re-submitted and the case could be reinstated.

The charges will be formally withdrawn tomorrow.

The story so far

Wa Afrika was arrested on August 4 as a debate on the possible introduction of a media tribunal and the Protection of Information Bill was under way at his employer’s headquarters in Rosebank, Johannesburg.

After being kept in custody, charges were withdrawn the following day, then reinstated. A court order issued by the High Court in Pretoria had him released ahead of his bail hearing.

He was finally released on R5 000 bail after an appearance at the Nelspruit Regional Court on August 6.

Mlimi is a deputy director for informal settlements in Mpumalanga.

Sunday Times editor Ray Hartley was not immediately available for comment, but its online portal, Timeslive.co.za, quoted him as saying that National Police Commissioner Bheki Cele “owes Wa Afrika an apology. A big one”.

Wa Afrika’s lawyer, Eric van den Berg, said they had been notified of the NPA’s intentions and were pleased.

“It has a been a shadow over him,” said Van den Berg.

Some critics believed the arrests were related to a story Wa Afrika had co-written about a R500 million police headquarters lease agreement, purportedly agreed to by Cele without it going out to tender.

The day before his arrest, Cele called him a “very shady journalist”, and when asked if he would take action against the reporter, he replied: “Time will tell.” 

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.