Convict both accused in ET murder – State

2012-04-18 14:00

The State has called for both suspects accused of killing right-wing leader Eugene Terre’Blanche to be found guilty.

“The State’s submission is that both accused should be found guilty as charged on all counts,” prosecutor George Baloyi told the Ventersdorp High Court.

Baloyi described the case as extraordinary because the two did not run away after the murder, and walked a great distance to alert the police.

Chris Mahlangu and a teenager are charged with beating Terre’Blanche to death in his farmhouse outside Ventersdorp in North West on April 3 2010.

Both have pleaded not guilty to murder, housebreaking and robbery with aggravating circumstances. Mahlangu has claimed he acted in self-defence. The teenager has denied involvement in the crime.

Baloyi dismissed Mahlangu’s claims that Terre’Blanche sexually assaulted him. “We submit that there was no mention of any sexual assault.”

The State rejected the sexual assault claims as they were never mentioned during the bail hearing. Baloyi called the sexual assault claims “made up stories”.

Both Mahlangu and the youth declined to testify. The State and the defence closed their cases last week.

Baloyi said Mahlangu implicated the youth in the crime when he phoned police on the evening of the murder, and as police arrived at the farm. These admissions did not form part of Mahlangu’s written statement made on the evening of the murder, in which the youth was implicated. The statement was not admitted as evidence in February.

Baloyi said Mahlangu on numerous occasions referred to “we” and “they” when he explained what happened.

He asked the court if the youth should be allowed to “go scot-free” considering his statement on the evening of the murder – in which he stopped short of saying he participated in Terre’Blanche’s murder.

The police’s handling of the youth was brought into question throughout the trial. Lawyers for both accused argued the correct procedures were not followed and that the two were not fully aware of their rights.

The State said police were brutally honest in admitting during the trial that they were not aware of the Child Justice Act on the evening the arrests were made. The act was implemented a few days before the murder.

“This court should not adopt an armchair approach to the situation police found themselves in,” Baloyi said.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.