Cops ordered to return filmmaker’s property

2012-02-20 09:34

A Mpumalanga filmmaker has won a North Gauteng High Court case against the police to return a video cassette and copies they could have made of a service delivery protest in Sakhile township, near Standerton, three weeks ago.

The police’s tactical response unit confiscated the video cassette from Jabulani Sibeko – a local man who was at the forefront of service delivery protests in the township in 2009.

Sibeko was filming, on February 2, for Onland Productions, which had been following the protests since 2009.
Mpumalanga police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Leonard Hlathi said they had to abide by the high court’s decision and had returned Sibeko’s property.

“He was given back his belongings,” Hlathi said.

Sibeko said the police told him they wanted to use his film to identify the protesters.

“I went to court to get my video camera and cassette back and I’m happy that the court ordered them to return all copies they could have made.

“I’ve been doing a documentary film about the protests in this township since 2009,” Sibeko said.
Meanwhile, Mpumalanga has seen a resurgence of violent service delivery protests after residents of six municipalities took to the streets in the past month.

Last week, residents of Masoyi (Hazyview), where Premier David Mabuza grew up, protested for five days as they burned tyres, blockaded roads and looted shops.

Residents of Wesselton (Ermelo) and Zwelisha (Nelspruit) called off their protests after swift intervention by police and municipal councillors.

Most complaints were directed at government’s failure to provide water, electricity, clinics and roads. Some wanted corrupt and underperforming councillors to be fired.

Wesselton and Emakhazeni (Belfast) residents accused power utility giant Eskom and the surrounding mines of passing over locals for jobs.

Protests began in Naas (Malalane) on January 16. They then spread to Mpakeni, near Nelspruit, the following week and to Sakhile, near Standerton, early this month and to Carolina two weeks ago. Last week, Masoyi and Emakhazeni erupted.

Hlathi said about 100 protesters were arrested and charged with public violence in all affected areas.

Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs spokesperson Simphiwe Kunene said the department did not view the recent unrests as a resurgence of service delivery protests.

“We are concerned about the recent incidents of unrest in some of our communities. However, we do not view this as a resurgence of service delivery protests.

“But there are some areas where communities have got genuine concerns about service delivery issues; in the main it is water provision,” Kunene said.

He said that the department had developed a Provincial Water Master Plan that sought to address the water problems in the province.

Pointing fingers
When protests broke out in 2009 and 2010, warring ANC factions in the province pointed fingers at each other. But this time they have not done so ahead of the upcoming provincial leadership conference.

The ANC Youth League, which previously backed Mabuza, blamed former Mbombela mayor Lassy Chiwayo, ANC treasurer-general Mathews Phosa and member of the legislature Fish Mahlalela for instigating the protests.

The anti-Mabuza camp claimed that he had fuelled the protests to find reasons to place councils under administration in order to purge mayors and municipal officials who backed his rivals.

Police arrested Sibusiso Mabuza in 2010 for allegedly using different names when he made statements that politicians from both camps paid him to stir up protests. He will appear in court on May 14 on charges of perjury.

Hlathi said the police knew no other motive for the recent spate of protests other than unemployment and poor service delivery.

“What we get is that people are toyi-toying for government services and jobs from mines,” he said.

Paul Mbenyane, ANC spokesperson in the province, said the party respected the residents’ right to protest peacefully but warned that criminals were taking advantage to loot and damage property.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.