Cosatu slammed for delay in deleting Vavi rape accuser’s name from website

2013-07-31 17:29

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Trade union federation Cosatu is “looking at” a request to delete the name of Zwelinzima Vavi’s rape accuser from its website.

Patrick Craven, spokesperson for the trade union, said the union was considering the request by Sonke Gender Justice Network, but said this was “part and parcel of the internal process under way”.

Craven said there had been no further decision as to whether the union’s internal case against Cosatu would proceed, despite confirmation by the trade union federation that the woman had withdrawn the rape charge against Vavi.

Craven said that, as far as he was aware, an internal report by the chairperson who presided over the first day of the inquiry yesterday was not yet available.

But Mbuyiselo Botha, spokesperson for Sonke Gender Justice Network, said that Cosatu’s delay in deleting the women’s name from its website “called into doubt their own commitment to how gender-based violence is dealt with”.

He said that the woman’s name should have been removed as a matter of urgency if Cosatu wanted to send a “clear and unambiguous message that they take matters relating to women and gender-based violence” very seriously.

At the time of publication, the name of the woman was still contained in a section of Cosatu’s website.

Sonke had made the public request for Cosatu to remove the name on Monday.

Meanwhile, Vavi’s allies have started to close ranks around him.

In a statement issued by the National Union of Metalworkers of SA today, it expressed support for Vavi and attacked what it called the “sustained attack on the person of the general secretary of Cosatu, in their efforts to divide and weaken the working class and its revolutionary federation”.

It also lashed out at the ANC Women’s League (ANCWL) for a statement that said a formal rape charge would have been preferable to the internal grievance procedure the victim had embarked upon.

“Nowhere in the ANCWL statement do they make even a hint that Comrade Vavi could be innocent.”

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.