Cosatu to strike over Walmart

2011-10-10 11:45

Labour federation Cosatu is to picket outside the houses of Pick n Pay chairperson Raymond Ackerman and Western Cape Premier Helen Zille over the Walmart-Massmart merger.

General secretary Zwelinzima Vavi said today that the federation wanted to target “those shareholders who can sway opinion on the boards...”.

Vavi said in Joburg that Zille was a “very prominent” shareholder in Pick n Pay, which planned to retrench 3 000 workers.

These retrenchments were a result of Walmart’s entry into South Africa, he told reporters.

Cosatu also planned a nationwide strike to draw attention to the harm it believed the deal would do to jobs and local manufacturing in South Africa.

“... We are ready to mobilise our members in the streets and in strike action,” Vavi said.

Cosatu had taken action under section 77 of the Labour Relations Act to legitimise its planned protest, he said.

This section gives workers the right to take part in protest action to promote or defend their socioeconomic interests.

The R16.5-billion Walmart-Massmart merger was approved by the Competition Tribunal in May, subject to certain conditions.

Last week, three government departments filed their heads of argument in the Competition Appeals Court.

The departments of agriculture, forestry and fisheries; economic development; and trade and industry want the deal sent back to the tribunal for proper consideration and more effective conditions to be imposed.

Cosatu supported government’s call for more stringent conditions to be attached to the merger, although first prize would be the prohibition of the deal.

Government argued that Walmart-Massmart would increase imports and could potentially lead to the loss of tens of thousands of local jobs.

It could also lead to the closure of many small and medium-sized enterprises and firms owned by historically disadvantaged individuals.

Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies said there was no evidence that Massmart would create 15 000 jobs through the merger, as it had advertised.

The country’s manufacturing base could be further eroded and, once lost, would take many years to win back, said Davies.

The review and appeal was expected to be heard in the Competition Appeal Court on October 20 and October 21.

The SA Commercial, Catering and Allied Workers’ Union also appealed to the Competition Appeal Court against the Competition Tribunal’s approval of the merger.

This would also be heard in October.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.