Cosby braves stage amid ‘sexual assault’ scandal

2015-01-07 17:37

A scandal-plagued Bill Cosby returns to the stage tonight for the first time since November and his reception is certain to be mixed, with some planning protests, others vowing not to show up and still others saying they will heckle the comedian.

The three performances in Canada follow sexual assault allegations by more than 15 women and come after Cosby saw at least 10 performances get cancelled on his North American tour.

The 77-year-old comedian is scheduled to appear at the Centre in the Square in Kitchener, Ontario, today; at the Budweiser Gardens in London, Ontario, tomorrow; and at the Hamilton Place Theatre in Hamilton, Ontario, on Friday.

“I don’t know how people in good conscience can go and enjoy the show,” said Maureen Dragasevich.

Dragasevich, 59, said she and her family bought tickets and were once huge fans, but they’re not going now.

Since November, at least 15 women have come forward with claims Cosby sexually assaulted them decades ago. Most of the women say he drugged them before he assaulted them.

Cosby, who starred as Dr Cliff Huxtable on “The Cosby Show” from 1984 to 1992, earning a reputation as “America’s Dad,” has never been charged in connection with any of the allegations. A 2005 lawsuit by a Pennsylvania woman was settled before it went to trial, and he is being sued by a woman who claims he molested her in 1974 and by three other women who allege they were defamed by the comedian when his representatives denied some of the allegations.

Cosby’s career unravelled after his accusers came forward, with a TV project halted and at least 10 standup comedy tour performances cancelled or indefinitely postponed. The show in Kitchener will be his first show since November 21 in Melbourne, Florida, where Cosby was greeted by an adoring audience that laughed so hard they slapped their knees, shouted love at the stage and rose to their feet as he came and went. Protesters didn’t show and there were no hecklers.

Not so in Canada, where protests are planned. Megan Walker, executive director of the London Abused Women’s Centre, said there will be a demonstration outside the London venue, and was told some ticket holders who couldn’t get a refund will heckle Cosby instead.

Kitchener’s mayor, Berry Vrbanovic, said he will attend an alternative event that was organised to raise awareness of sexual assault at the same time as Cosby’s show.

London Mayor Matt Brown said the promoter should consider cancelling the London show and Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne said she wouldn’t attend any of Cosby’s shows in the province because of the “very serious” allegations.

“Until those are sorted out I certainly would not go to a performance,” said Wynne.

Cosby’s promoter, Adam Epstein of Chicago-based Innovation Arts & Entertainment, said he is legally obligated to move ahead with the shows in Canada, and said it would send the wrong message to other artists if he cancelled.

“If the allegations are true, of course I find them abhorrent, but at the same time at this point I find it presumptuous for anyone to expect me to take action and break an agreement with another business client at this stage,” said Epstein. “What if it is not true? If there’s an indictment and conviction that’s one thing.”

Scott Warren, the general manager of the Hamilton Place Theatre, said the theatre is bound by a contract with the promoter and would risk being sued if the show were cancelled.

Don Jones, who has promoted Cosby shows in London previously, estimated the promoter is on the hook for $500 000 for the three shows.

“That’s a lot of money to lose if you decide to cancel. He’s caught between a rock and a hard place,” said Jones. “To be honest I’m amazed Cosby hasn’t cancelled just for the embarrassment part of it.”

But Jones said Cosby probably has his reasons.

“He’s 77 years old. I’ve heard that there’s about 17 shows left in the schedule. I’m sure he realises that it’s over. I can’t imagine any venue buying a Cosby show in the future,” said Jones.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.