Court dismisses application to have rape charges withdrawn

2009-09-24 10:28

A defence application to have charges against two of three rape

accused withdrawn on the basis that DNA evidence could not place them at the

scene of the crime was turned down in the Khayelitsha Regional court

yesterday.

The application asked Magistrate Robert Matshikwe to withdraw the

charges on the basis that the state could not prove that Lwazi Mzito (19), the

son of Western Cape police commissioner Mzwandile Petros, and Lubabalo Fongoqa

(21) had committed the rape. which they are standing trial for.

A third accused, Jabu Daluxolo (27), was not part of the DNA

evidence because he has admitted to consensual sex, but denied rape.

Advocate Sakkie Maartens for Mzito asked Matshikwe not to accept

the complainant’s testimony and reject two statements she provided to the

investigating officers.

Maartens said the complainant’s testimony should be regarded as

“illogical” because she had given different versions of what had happened on the

day of the alleged rape on April 6 last year.

Maartens said the complainant had told a doctor the day after the

alleged rape that she had been raped by six men, but in her court testimony said

three men had raped her.

It was “strange and shocking” that the complainant had not

mentioned names in her first statement, but then provided names in her second

statement.

The complainant, who cannot be named to protect her identity, gave

two statements to two different investigating officers.

In one of the statements she said she had been raped by two men in

a brick house and by three men inside a shack, but Maartens said she had told

investigating officer constable Brenda Ndlela and also testified in court that

she was raped seven times inside the shack.

Another aspect was that it was unlikely for the complainant to know

who had and who hadn’t used a condom during the alleged rape, because the room

was dark and she could not see the faces of the alleged rapists.

However, state prosecutor Alfred Isaacs asked Matshikwe to dismiss

the application, which Matshikwe subsequently did, saying he would give reasons

at a later stage.

The case continues in November, when the accused are expected to

take the stand. All three men remain in custody. – West Cape News

 

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.