Court orders arrest of Musharraf in Bhutto case

2011-02-12 12:26

Islamabad – A Pakistani anti-terrorism court had issued an arrest warrant for exiled former president Pervez Musharraf in connection with the 2007 assassination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, a spokesman for Musharraf said today.

Bhutto was killed in a gun and suicide bomb attack after an election rally in the city of Rawalpindi on December 27 2007, weeks after she returned to Pakistan after years in self-imposed exile.

Her assassination was one of the most shocking events in Pakistan’s turbulent history, and remains shrouded in mystery.

“The court has issued an arrest warrant and asked that he should be produced before the court during the next hearing on February 19,” said Musharraf spokesman Saif Ali.

Ali said the decision was apparently based on a report by the Federal Investigation Agency, which linked Musharraf to the case. The public prosecutor was not immediately available.

Musharraf, a former military chief who came to power in a bloodless coup in 1999, has lived in self-imposed exile since he stepped down under threat of impeachment in 2008. He spends most of his time in London and Dubai.

He has, however, expressed his intention to return to Pakistan and said he aimed to establish offices for his new political party by March.

The warrant for Musharraf’s arrest follows a similar court order in December for the arrest of two senior police officers on allegations they failed to provide adequate security for Bhutto before her assassination.

A report by a United Nations commission of inquiry released in New York last year said any credible investigation into Bhutto’s killing should not rule out the possibility that members of Pakistan’s military and security establishment were involved.

It heavily criticised Pakistani authorities, saying they had “severely hampered” the investigation. The initial investigation blamed a Pakistani Taliban leader and al-Qaeda ally, Baitullah Mehsud, for Bhutto’s murder.

Musharraf, himself the target of at least two bomb attacks, has repeatedly dismissed suggestions he, the security agencies or military were involved in killing his old rival.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.