Court postpones child horror rape case

2014-01-21 15:41

A 27-year-old man has appeared in the Bellville Magistrates’ Court, Cape Town, for allegedly raping a nine-year-old girl in Delft and setting her alight in a case that has shocked the Cape Flats.

Prosecutor Sarah Dowries said the case was postponed for “bail information”.

Dowries said the man would remain in custody until his next appearance on January 28.

She said he would face charges of rape, sexual assault, abduction and attempted murder and that the state would oppose bail.

The National Prosecuting Authority said the man could not be identified as he had not yet pleaded.

Outraged Delft residents packed the courtroom and the passage outside where they were teargassed by policemen at one point. People scattered down the passage, choking and clutching their shirts to their faces.

The victim is in the Red Cross Children’s Hospital in a serious condition after the assault on Saturday night.

Kulsum Ismail, a convener of the local community watch who was at the court, said the girl was undergoing treatment for severe burn wounds after the attacker allegedly poured fuel over her and set her alight.

“She begged him to stop. She asked him to forgive her for anything she had done to him,” said Ismail, who said the attacker knew the girl’s family.

On Saturday night, the man was apprehended by community watch members who spotted him walking with bloodstained clothes. They handed him over to the police.

The girl’s grandmother was in court and said her granddaughter had been on her way to her father’s house when she was dragged into the grass near the N2 and raped.

Ismail said the community had bayed for the attacker’s blood and was angry with the community watch for handing him over to police.

“They do not understand. What else can we do? We are not vigilantes,” she said.

But she criticised the justice system for being too lenient on rapists.

“He should get the death sentence because he has taken a life. How will that girl ever recover? What kind of life has she got left?”

After the hearing, Delft residents resumed a protest outside the court, some holding up placards proclaiming “No bail”.

Nosintha Stafa said she had come to support the victim’s family.

“Tomorrow it could be one of our children,” she said.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.