?‘Don’t let terror win’

2014-05-04 15:00

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nigeria has urged delegates due to attend the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Abuja next week “not to let terror win” by staying away after a second bombing in the capital in less than three weeks.

A suspected car bomb killed 19 people and wounded 34 on Thursday night in the satellite town of Nyanya about 8km from Abuja’s city centre.

It went off next to the bus station where a rush-hour bomb killed 75 people on April 14.

The bombs, and the abduction of more than 200 girls from a secondary school in the northeast village of Chibok near the Cameroon border, threaten to overshadow the WEF conference’s emphasis on Africa’s positive growth story.

The girls, who were writing exams, were snatched on the same day as the bus station bombing.

The militant group, Boko Haram, has been blamed for all the attacks.

A regional replica of the event in Davos, Switzerland, the conference on Wednesday and Thursday will bring together international leaders, policymakers, entrepreneurs and philanthropists.

Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said on Friday: “We want to state categorically that the administration of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan will not be diverted, nor will it give in to these nefarious acts of terrorism.

“The government has taken the strongest measures to ensure a safe forum. We ask participants not to let terror win.”

But not all delegates are convinced that Nigerian authorities can keep the capital safe during the event.

Fernando de Sousa, general manager of Microsoft Africa Initiatives, cancelled his trip “for security reasons following the bombings in Abuja”, a PR company representing the firm said.

The search for the missing girls in Chibok is continuing although Jonathan’s administration has been widely criticised for not acting swiftly enough to locate and free them.

Interior Minister Abba Moro said that “defence high command is doing everything to secure the release of these girls”.

“We are closing in on their location. Hopefully in the next couple of days, they will be rescued,” said Moro.

But he added: “The government has to be careful. Any all-out forceful rescue of these kids could undermine their safety.”

He said efforts had been made to seek out possible intermediaries for negotiation for the return of the girls, but declined to give any details of actual talks.

The US said on Thursday that it had offered to help Nigeria in its search for the schoolgirls.

Britain has also offered support.

But the parents of the missing pupils have started to despair of ever being reunited with them and tend to disbelieve government claims that they are searching hard for them.

A parent, Malam Maina, said: “We haven’t seen any soldier or security personnel going into the bush in search of the girls, so we really don’t understand where they are carrying out their search operation.”

About 250 parents protested in the village on Thursday to demand swifter action.

A Borno state senator, Ahmed Zannah, fears that the girls have been taken as “wives” by Boko Haram commanders.

This is a grim echo of Uganda’s Lord’s Resistance Army, which abducted thousands of girls from central Africa for the same purpose.

There has been no news of the pupils’ fate beyond the approximately 50 girls who managed to escape

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.