Downey, Big Bang Theory win big at People’s Choice Awards

2015-01-08 08:36

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Robert Downey Jr was seeing double at the People’s Choice Awards.

The star of The Judge and Iron Man picked up the trophies for favourite dramatic movie actor and favourite movie actor at yesterday’s fan-favourite ceremony honouring stars in film, television and music.

“This is perfect for me because I love people, I’m crazy about movies, and I prefer people who love my movies,” Downey said.

The Big Bang Theory also won multiple honours. The sitcom about a group of scientists was awarded trophies for favourite network TV comedy and favourite TV show, while co-star Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting was chosen as favourite comedic TV actress.

“We truly have a love and passion for making this show together,” said Big Bang co-star Johnny Galecki. “Honestly, it’s a dream come true every day, and it’s never lost on any of us for a split-second that it’s entirely due to your love and support.”

The gush-filled ceremony kicked off at the Nokia Theatre with Mom stars Anna Faris and Allison Janney quipping about their selection as the show’s hosts.

“Oh, who are we kidding?” Faris joked.

“Neil Patrick Harris was unavailable, and Ellen DeGeneres said she was busy.”

However, DeGeneres wasn’t completely booked. The talk show host was on hand to pick up the trophy for favourite daytime TV host.

Other winners in attendance included Hunter Hayes as favourite male country artist, Matt Bomer as favourite cable TV actor, Chloë Grace Moretz as favourite dramatic movie actress and Chris Evans as favourite action movie actor.

“I’ll say 30%, 40% of the votes were my mother, but the other 60%, it really, really means a lot to me,” Evans said. “I’m eternally grateful.”

Melissa McCarthy was honoured as favourite comedic movie actress, while Adam Sandler was selected as favourite comedic movie actor.

Ben Affleck was designated the humanitarian of the year for his work with the Eastern Congo Initiative, which he co-founded in 2010 with Whitney Williams. The organisation advocates the economic and social growth of the country through various programs.

Iggy Azalea and Lady Antebellum, who performed during the People’s Choice Awards with Fall Out Boy, were also champions. Azalea was deemed favourite hip-hop artist, while Lady Antebellum were crowned favourite country group.

Grey’s Anatomy star Ellen Pompeo accepted the awards for both favourite dramatic TV actress and favourite network TV drama.

“Somehow, this never gets old,” Pompeo said.

“I have to say it actually gets better. We’re 11 seasons in, and your passion for the show keeps us going.”

A couple of Pompeo’s absentee co-stars were also selected as victors: Patrick Dempsey for favourite dramatic TV actor and Sandra Oh as Cristina Yang for favourite TV character missed most.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/World

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.