E Cape initiate stabbed, abducted

2010-12-30 13:17

A youth was stabbed, apparently with a spear, when he tried to run away from an initiation school in the Lady Frere area of Eastern Cape, the provincial health department said today.

Spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said the incident happened at the weekend, when the youth sought refuge at a clinic in the village of Qhashu, shutting himself into the security guard’s building there.

“This group of men who were chasing after him allegedly broke the windows of the guard house, forced the initiate out, beat him and took him back to the school,” he said.

“He is alleged to have been stabbed with a spear and sustained a wound under his arm.”

The youth had been admitted to Lady Frere’s Glen Grey Hospital in a critical condition, Kupelo said.

“Influential people from the district are alleged to have been part of this barbaric act so it is difficult for people to go and lay charges with the police,” he said, adding the youth was an orphan.

The department had instructed its district health manager to lay a complaint of vandalism with the police over the damage to the security building.

The department would also ask the police to investigate the stabbing and abduction.

“It does not matter what position the people responsible hold in the community. They must face the law,” he said.

An officer at the Lady Frere police station said police were investigating the incident but she was not aware of any arrests.

Head of the Eastern Cape House of Traditional Leaders Chief Ngangomhlaba Matanzima, who himself comes from the Lady Frere area, said he had heard of the incident and had been told police were investigating.

“We are trying to respect the law. We don’t want to say anything about it until we are informed properly of the events in Lady Frere around that boy,” he said.

“We don’t want to accuse anyone. We will wait until the outcome then we’ll see what to do.”

Traditional leaders in the province have been pressing this year for more control over the traditional circumcision ceremony and have called for changes to the province’s circumcision legislation.

Kupelo said the circumcision season death toll had risen to 16, with the death of a would-be initiate at Mbizana on Tuesday.


Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.