ET accused due to appear for trial

2010-11-22 07:41

The trial of two men accused of hacking to death right-wing leader Eugene Terre’Blanche is expected to get under way today in Ventersdorp.

Rumours of an application for a postponement by the defence could not be officially confirmed. The trial was set down for a week.

On Friday, the National Prosecuting Authority made it clear that there would be no separation of trial.

“For the proceedings they will appear together in the same court but in terms of the legislation they will be tried under different acts, one for the adult and one for the minor. There will be no separation of trial,” spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga said.

The two had previously appeared separately.

Media houses wanting access to the trial would have to apply but there was a shortage of space, he said.

Renovation had been carried out on the dilapidated Ventersdorp Magistrates Court since the last court appearance.

The repainted white and green building was now surrounded by a high white picket fence and an adjoined high court.

Chris Mahlangu (28) and his 15-year-old co-accused allegedly murdered the AWB leader in April at his farmhouse.

Mahlangu was released in July on R5000 bail but re-arrested in October after a Pretoria High Court judge said the magistrate in Ventersdorp had made “incomprehensive findings” in his awarding of bail.

The judge found that Mahlangu was a flight risk.

At a previous appearance, the court heard that Terre’Blanche carried a panga with him everywhere he went and he frequently took off his underpants because of the heat.

Shortly after the murder there was speculation, fuelled by reports of Terre’Blanche being found dead with his pants down, that he had attempted to sexually assault his killers.

It was revealed that the trio had been consuming alcohol before the incident and were in a “jovial” mood.

The motive for the crime was believed to be over a wage dispute.

The court heard that Terre’Blanche had been struck with such force with an iron bar that his jaw was broken and the bone had pierced his tongue.

Initial reports was that Terre’Blanche sustained 28 injuries, but according to a medical summary disclosed on June 10, he had seven.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.