ET trial enters second day

2011-10-11 07:00

The Eugene Terre’Blanche murder trial was expected to enter its second day in the Ventersdorp Circuit High Court today.

Judge John Horn was to decide if earlier statements made by accused Chris Mahlangu would be included in trial.

“The prosecution is at liberty at criminal trials to present whatever it feels is important in order to present a formidable case to secure a conviction and that’s what we are doing now,” National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga said.

“That’s why we made the application.”

The State has made an application in a bid to have Mahlangu’s affidavit, which was submitted during the bail hearing, included in trial.

Advocate Kgomotso Tlouane, acting for Mahlangu, opposed it and said his client was not aware of the implications of the statements, and asked that it be scrapped from trial.

Prosecutor George Baloyi said the 28-year-old had been told of his rights and had consented to making the statement.

Mahlangu and a minor are accused of killing the right-wing leader at his North West farmhouse last year.

Yesterday, the minor denied involvement in the murder despite testimony that he phoned police and confessed to it.

Ventersdorp Police Station data capturer Klaas Nkathule testified that on the day of the murder, he received a phone call from the minor.

“I received a call at about 17.55 on April 3, 2010 ... This specific call was different because the caller said ‘my friend and I killed Terre’Blanche’.”

The teenager’s lawyer Norman Arendse grilled Nkathule on aspects of his evidence, and submitted that Terre’Blanche was not a victim.

He said the 69-year-old former Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging (AWB) leader had exploited the minor, who had left school to become a herdsman for his 97 cattle.

He noted that his client lived in appalling conditions on the farm, which were not fit for human habitation.

The youngster, who was 15-years-old at the time, was afraid of Terre’Blanche as he often used vulgar language on him and bribed him with alcohol, said Arendse.

“There were also allegations of verbal, physical and sexual abuse.” He said the minor received part payment for his work and “had no reason to have a dispute with the deceased”.

The trial continues.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.