Egypt court sentences 21 to death for stadium disaster

2013-01-26 14:09

Cairo – An Egyptian court today sentenced to death 21 people found guilty of involvement in the Port Said soccer stadium disaster in which 74 people died last year.

The ruling could help reduce prospects of fresh clashes on Egypt’s turbulent streets. Soccer fans and families of those killed had threatened more violence if the punishments did not satisfy them, and many had demanded the accused be executed.

The ruling followed nine deaths during protests nationwide yesterday and early today, held to mark two years since Egypt’s revolution forced strongman Hosni Mubarak from power and to accuse President Mohamed Morsi and his Islamist allies of reimposing authoritarian rule.

The judge, Sobhy Abdel Maguid, read out a list of 21 names “referred to the Mufti”, a phrase used to denote a death verdict as all such sentences must be reviewed by Egypt’s top religious authority.

Seventy-three people have been charged with involvement in the February 1 2012 disaster at the end of a match between Cairo’s Al Ahly and Al-Masry, the local side.

Spectators were crushed when panicked crowds tried to escape from the stadium after a post-match pitch invasion by supporters of Al-Masry. Others fell or were thrown from terraces, witnesses said.

Many of those who died were supporters of Al Ahly.

The verdicts for others accused will be announced on March 9, said the judge, who had called for calm in the court before and during the reading of the ruling.

In response to the sentences, supporters gathered at Al Ahly club in Cairo cheered. In the courtroom on the outskirts of Cairo, families of victims clapped and some wept with emotion.

“God is greatest!” one shouted, while others held up pictures of the victims.

People gathered near the Port Said prison where most of the suspects were held. State television reported the sound of gunshots and said police fired tear gas in the area.

Two policemen were shot dead outside the prison.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

Boks not underestimating Wales scrum
Boks play repeat knockout at RWC
O'Connell out of World Cup - Laporte
Etzebeth hails Bok lock stock
Traffic Alerts

You may find it hard to focus on the mundane routines as the greener pastures seem so tempting. It is a good time to expand more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.