Everything must be done to free abducted girls – Nigerian president

2014-05-05 08:39

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Abuja, Nigeria – Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has met with security, school and state officials and ordered that “everything must be done” to free the 276 girls held captive by extremists, one of his advisers said amid growing national outrage at the government’s response to the abduction.

Jonathan said in a televised “media chat” last night that he believes Nigeria is winning its war against an Islamic uprising.

Two bomb blasts in three weeks that have killed about 100 people and injured more than 200 in the capital, Abuja, “does not mean the situation is worsening”, Jonathan said.

“I believe we are succeeding,” he said, though the death tolls tell a different story.

More than 1 500 people have died in the insurgency this year, compared to an estimated 3 600 between 2010 and 2013. Both of the Abuja blasts are blamed on Boko Haram, the Islamic terrorist network.

Jonathan said he has been asking for and getting help from the US but that President Barack Obama had expressed concern to him about allegations of gross human rights abuses by security forces accused of summary executions and the killings in detention of thousands of people.

“I said, ‘Send someone to see what we are doing and assist us, give us equipment that will help us, because we need sophisticated (equipment), don’t just say there is some matter of alleged abuses,” Jonathan said, describing one of two conversations with the US leader.

US Secretary of State John Kerry promised help over the weekend.

“The kidnapping of hundreds of children by Boko Haram is an unconscionable crime, and we will do everything possible to support the Nigerian government to return these young women to their homes and to hold the perpetrators to justice,” Kerry said from Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Jonathan’s meeting on Saturday night was the first time the president had met with all stakeholders, including the principal of the Chibok Government Girls Secondary School in northeastern Nigeria where the girls and young women were kidnapped in a predawn raid on April 15, presidential adviser Reuben Abati told reporters.

Nigerians’ anger at the failure to rescue the students, and protest marches last week in major Nigerian cities as well as New York, have spurred Jonathan’s government to action, which many see as uncaring of the girls’ plight.

“The president has given very clear directives that everything must be done to ensure that these girls must be brought back to safety,” Abati said.

The police said last week that the actual number abducted had risen to more than 300 and that 276 remain in captivity. It said 53 students managed to escape their captors. None have been rescued by the military, which initially said it was in hot pursuit of the abductors.

Some of the girls have been forced into “marriage” with their abductors and were paid a nominal bride price of $12 (R120), according to a federal senator from the area whose report is unverified.

Some of the young women have been taken across Nigeria’s borders to Cameroon and Chad, parents said last week, quoting villagers.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.