Former MEC assault case to trial next year

2013-10-08 11:20

The assault case against former Mpumalanga human settlements MEC Siphosezwe Masango and two of his bodyguards has been postponed to next year for trial.

The three were not asked to plead to charges of assault and intimidation when they appeared in the Barberton Magistrates’ Court yesterday, a Sapa correspondent reported.

They are accused of assaulting and intimidating motorist Gert van der Merwe (39) at the Nkomazi toll plaza in July last year.

“The suspects appeared in the Barberton Magistrates’ Court today and their case was postponed to January 13 next year for trial,” Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) spokesperson Moses Dlamini told a Sapa correspondent.

Van der Merwe opened the case at the Kaapmuiden Police Station and the case was transferred to the Ipid as the bodyguards work for the police.

In February, Premier David Mabuza sacked Masango as human settlements MEC after he found that the department had delivered only 3 900 houses throughout the province when the target was 10 980 for the 2012/2013 financial year.

ANC provincial secretary Lucky Ndinisa said the party would conduct an internal investigation.

“The ANC will launch an internal investigation regarding the case levelled against Masango, but for now we treat him as innocent until proven guilty by a court of law,” said Ndinisa.

In a separate matter, the ANC had still not dealt with its Ehlanzeni regional chairman Ngrayi Ngwenya. He was found guilty of assault and fined R1 000 along with Nkomazi local municipality mayoral bodyguard Bheki Mhlongo after they assaulted a man in April.

Ngwenya (49) and Mhlongo (33) who is the bodyguard of Nkomazi mayor Thulisile Khoza, were found guilty of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm by the Barberton Magistrates’ Court last month.

They were found guilty of assaulting former ANC member Collen Sedibe, who is now a member of Julius Malema’s Economic Freedom Fighters.

Sedibe was still an ANC member during his assault, which happened at an ANC meeting in Malelane on April 18.

The assault allegedly took place after a difference of opinion between Ngwenya and Sedibe, who vocally campaigned for Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe prior to the ruling party’s elective conference in Mangaung, Free State, in December last year.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.