Funding report a figment of Fransman’s imagination – DA

2013-01-28 17:07

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The Democratic Alliance has denied receiving funding of R4 million last week.

“The statement by [ANC Western Cape leader] Marius Fransman... is a complete fabrication and a figment of Mr Fransman’s imagination,” DA spokesman Jordan Hill-Lewis said today.

The New Age newspaper quoted Fransman earlier in the day as saying the DA received the R4 million last week, and used the money to refurbish its offices in Cape Town.

Unsourced reports about funding for the DA surfaced on Saturday.

The Weekend Argus quoted unnamed sources as saying Zille had gone to the Gupta family’s estate in Saxonwold, Johannesburg, in 2011 to ask for a donation.

She left with a “substantial” cheque, believed to be several hundred thousand rand, the paper said.

In March 2011 City Press reported that Zille at the time refused to confirm or deny that she had visited the Guptas in October 2010.

City Press was told that Zille had entered the Guptas’ compound with her driver and went into the family house alone.

Her spokesperson Priya Reddy said it was party policy not to ­disclose the identity of donors.

Asked for comment by the Weekend Argus, Zille told the newspaper: “The issue is not whether the Guptas have ever donated money to the DA. The issue is, if they did, whether the DA ever channelled huge amounts of public money to them in return. The answer is no.”

The Weekend Argus said comment was not immediately available from the Guptas.

Today, The New Age newspaper, owned by the Guptas, reported Fransman as saying Zille should come clean on who funded the DA.

Sapa approached Zille’s spokesman Cameron Arendse for comment this morning, but was told Zille could not be reached immediately.

After a wait of about two hours, Arendse was still unable to comment.

Sapa then opted to lift the relevant sections from the reports in the Weekend Argus and The New Age, and told Arendse it was doing so.

This afternoon, Hill-Lewis said: “It is irresponsible of The New Age to report it (the R4 million) without any checking and irresponsible of Sapa to repeat it without any checking.”

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

'England can't afford me', jokes Gatland
Boot boys Biggar, Foley set for showdown
Wales seek to end woeful Wallaby run
De Allende's star burns bright

It is always easier to notice the faults in others rather than face our own. Focusing too much on the perfect and ideal more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.