Gift of the Givers reaches ‘dead end’ on Pierre Korkie

2014-02-25 14:57

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

There is no certainty about the health of kidnapped South African Pierre Korkie in Yemen, the Gift of the Givers Foundation has said.

“We have no concrete information on Pierre’s health, his whereabouts nor proof of life,” foundation head Imtiaz Sooliman said in a statement today.

“We’ve reached a dead end.”

Sooliman said it had been 29 days since the foundation lost all communication with al-Qaeda. It had been 17 days since the second deadline to pay the ransom had expired.

Al-Qaeda militants kidnapped Korkie and his wife Yolande in Taiz, Yemen, in May last year. Yolande was released and returned to South Africa on January 13. The Gift of the Givers helped negotiate Yolande’s release.

Sooliman said today the foundation had tried to make contact with al-Qaeda through international media and circulated an interview with their office manager in Yemen, Anas al-Hamati.

He said al-Hamati was forced to leave Yemen at the end of January for his own security after al-Qaeda accused him of stealing the ransom money.

“Unfortunately, all our efforts to reconnect with al-Qaeda came to naught,” he said.

A tribal sheikh from al-Hamati’s tribe had been asked to find other tribal sheikhs to put him in contact with al-Qaeda. One tribal leader responded, saying Korkie was alive, but in bad health.

“They even said that Pierre is deaf and that they communicate with him by writing on paper. This is true about communication with Pierre. Yolande has confirmed this,” said Sooliman.

“Further, they added that Pierre was not with them but with another leader in some remote area. No further information was provided.”

He said after a request was sent to make further contact with the leader holding Korkie, nothing had been heard in 10 days.

Sooliman said a team was on its way to Abyan to try and make contact with al-Qaeda.

“The journey to Abyan is extremely long and the team is still on the way. We await the outcome of that endeavour whilst Pierre [if he is alive] may deteriorate further,” he said.

Korkie’s kidnappers had demanded $3 million (R32.5 million) ransom for his release by February 8.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.