Guinea halts presidential run-off

2010-09-16 08:38

Conakry, Guinea. – Guinea has halted Sunday’s presidential run-off after days of violence, as the military ruler called for fresh regional mediation to prevent the country heading for a “dead end”.

In a solemn televised address to the nation, transitional leader General Sekouba Konate said the West African country risked a “grave political and social crisis” and called on Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaore, the regional mediator, to intervene.

He urged Compaore to meet with the two candidates and politicians, adding: “More and more we are moving away from our roadmap. I note with regret?.?.?. that our country is heading for a dead end.

“Guinea no longer has a margin for error and has no time to lose,” the general said.

The address followed shortly after an announcement by the electoral commission late yesterday that it had postponed Sunday’s run-off.

“We need two weeks to prepare well,” said Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI) spokesperson Thierno Ceydou Bayo.

Prime Minister Jean-Marie Dore called in the two candidates, Cellou Dalein Diallo and Alpha Conde, before the announcement was made.

Bayo said Dore’s government would decide the new date for the poll.

Preparations for the second round have been marred by violence and the government suspended campaigning after rival supporters clashed in Conakry last weekend, killing one person and injuring around 50.

Conde, a veteran opposition leader, strongly contested the result of June’s first round, accusing the electoral commission of “gigantic fraud” as Diallo won nearly 44% of the vote to his 18%. Diallo is a former prime minister.

The crisis has marred Guinea’s first democratic poll since independence from France in 1958.

Bayo said one of the reasons for the delay was that the commission was waiting for the arrival of 450?000 new polling cards, which had been ordered from South Africa and were due to arrive “Sunday night to Monday”.

The weekend violence erupted after an announcement Friday that the head of the CENI – who died in Paris on Tuesday – and a top aide had been convicted of electoral fraud and sentenced to a year in prison.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.