Hammerl alive, say Austrians

2011-04-25 14:20

Two independent sources have confirmed that South African photographer Anton Hammerl is alive and well, an Austrian Foreign ministry spokesperson said today.

Peter Launsky-Tieffenthal told Sapa that both the South African government and the Austrian government had “received simultaneous confirmation” that the photographer, who holds dual SA-Austrian nationality, was alive.

Hammerl was seized by Libyan militia earlier this month near the city of Brega.

The confirmation was obtained from a network of contacts in the troubled North African country.

“We have two independent sources that told us he was alive, that he was well,” said Launsky-Tieffenthal.

He however cautioned that he would be much happier once Hammerl had been heard from directly or had made contact with his family.

“Hopefully we will get Hammerl to call his relatives soon,” he said.

He said that the Austrian government and the South African government had been working closely to secure Hammerl’s release.

On Saturday a report from GlobalPost.com in Boston, United States, stated that “South African photographer Anton Hammerl, who went missing at the same time as GlobalPost journalist James Foley and two others, is well and will be allowed to speak to his family soon, according to information from Libyan authorities.

“The South African government has received information from the Libyan authorities confirming that Hammerl is in good condition. There were growing fears about the safety of Hammerl, who had not been seen since April 5.”

However, that report did not provide any further details.

Department of International Relations and Co-operation spokesperson Clayson Monyela said at the time that the South African government had not gained consular access to the photographer, but it “continues to work around the clock on the assumption that Anton Hammerl is alive”.

He said that South African consular officials in Libya were negotiating with the Libyan authorities and the South African government did not want to jeopardise negotiations by releasing information “in the public domain” too early.

Clare Morgana Gillis, an American freelancer for The Christian Science Monitor, The Atlantic, and USA Today, who was detained near Brega on April 5, was allowed to call home on Thursday for the first time since her capture.

GlobalPost.com reported that she told her parents she was well and being held in a women’s civilian jail in Tripoli, according to multiple news reports.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/Sport

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.