Hawks’ Gauteng boss off the hook – for now

2015-01-14 11:58

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The South African Police Service has halted its bid to suspend Gauteng Hawks boss Major General Shadrack Sibiya.

Sibiya appeared briefly in the Joburg Labour Court today, where the police formally withdrew its notice of intention to suspend.

He and his lawyers had challenged the notice.

“The grounds of our application was that my client [Sibiya] was not given details about why he was being suspended,” Sibiya’s lawyer Victor Nkwashu told reporters outside the Labour Court today.

“The police service has agreed to pay the cost of the application,” Nkwashu said.

The Hawks had earlier said it would provide reasons for withdrawing the notice against Sibiya once the court appearance was done, but did not immediately do so.

Sibiya and his colleague, Hawks commander Leslie “Cowboy” Maluleke, were issued notices on January 5 and given until last week to provide reasons why they shouldn’t be suspended.

The notices related to the pair’s alleged role in the rendition of Zimbabwean suspects in 2010.

City Press reported earlier that Maluleke was suspended last night.

Maluleke made submissions to his bosses on Monday, saying he didn’t know of any laws that declared rendition as a criminal charge and that he had acted on a deportation order granted by the home affairs department.

“I can confirm that Maluleke has been placed on suspension,” Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwane Mulaudzi told City Press.

Maluleke could not be reached for comment, but City Press understands he’s been suspended with full pay.

The North Gauteng High Court will tomorrow hear an application to overturn the suspension of Hawks head General Anwa Dramat. He, too, was suspended in connection with the 2010 renditions.

On Friday, the Helen Suzman Foundation filed an urgent application in the North Gauteng High Court, asking that Dramat’s suspension be overturned and the appointment of acting head, Major General Benny Ntlemeza, be reversed.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.