Hosting Afcon 2015 is a no-no

2014-10-20 15:08

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

South Africa is not ready to host the Africa Cup of Nations in January if Morocco withdraws because of the Ebola epidemic, Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula has said.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has reportedly approached South Africa, Ghana and five other countries ahead of a November 2 meeting to decide on the future of the continent’s premier football event.

But the minister tweeted: “Hosting Afcon is a no-no.”

He told the media that the country had a responsibility to help fight to help fight the Ebola epidemic that has killed more than 4 500 people, mainly in West Africa, with the United Nations predicting a surge in deaths and cases.

“Even before taking the matter to Cabinet I can tell you unambiguously and categorically that hosting is a no-no,” he said.

“We do not have a ready-made abundance of resources to be shifted to Afcon.

“We did it [host the 2013 Afcon] in solidarity with Libya last year. Our budget cycle will not allow us to host the [2015] Afcon. It is totally impossible.

“We would like to give this one a pass.”

Mbalula added: “We will share the responsibility to fight Ebola – we are not immune to that.

“We must be prepared to share our skills, our doctors, to reinforce the research to find a vaccine.”

South Africa were among seven countries sounded out by the CAF as possible replacements should Morocco pull out.

The country has twice been “emergency” hosts of the competition, replacing cash-strapped Kenya in 1996 and strife-torn Libya last year.

South Africa has world-class stadiums having become the first African hosts of the World Cup four years ago.

Moroccan government officials said last weekend they wanted the January 17 to February 8 tournament postponed because they feared a spread of the deadly Ebola virus.

But CAF reacted swiftly, saying the 16-nation tournament should go ahead as planned, in a different country if necessary.

Should Morocco withdraw and more than one country offered to be take over as hosts, a draw would decide who stages the three-week African football showpiece.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.