Impossible to shut Blatter’s mouth, says Ancelotti

2014-10-29 13:54

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Madrid – Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti has launched a stinging attack on Fifa President Sepp Blatter as he backed Cristiano Ronaldo’s case to win a second consecutive Ballon d’Or in January.

Ronaldo headed a 23-man list for the award announced yesterday including four-time winner Lionel Messi and six German World Cup winners.

Read: Germany dominate controversial Ballon d’Or list

Blatter said earlier this week that German goalkeeper Manuel Neuer should have been crowned as the best player of the World Cup rather than Argentine Messi – something Ancelotti sees as potentially influencing those whose Ballon d’Or votes will count.

And the former AC Milan and Chelsea boss said he believes Ronaldo’s goalscoring feats in Madrid’s Champions League success makes him the deserving winner for the Ballon d’Or.

“It always surprises me what he does, but what are we going to do? It’s impossible to shut the mouth of the Fifa president,” said the Italian ahead of Madrid’s Copa del Rey game against UD Cornella today.

“There isn’t much to think about. It is Cristiano’s year, he scored goals and won important titles. There should be no doubt that he is the Ballon d’Or.”

Madrid begin their defence of the Copa del Rey in fine form having swept Barcelona aside 3-1 at the weekend to register their ninth consecutive win in all competitions.

Ancelotti has left Ronaldo, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Pepe, Luka Modric and Toni Kroos out of his squad for the visit to Catalonia with the security blanket of the second leg to come at the Bernabeu on December 2.

“It is a competition that has given us much success and we have good memories of. We will try to do the same as last year starting from today.

“We need to play a serious game and continue with our run of form. I also will give minutes to those that have been improving their physical condition.”

Another absentee from the Real squad is Gareth Bale as he continues to be sidelined by a gluteal injury, but Ancelotti retains some hope that he could be fit for the visit of Liverpool to the Bernabeu in the Champions League on Tuesday.

“He has had a strange muscle injury. We will see if he is ready for next week in the game against Liverpool. We still don’t know when his expected return date is.”

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.