‘Invisible’ hand blamed for Egypt soccer violence

2012-02-02 09:22

Cairo – Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, the Islamist group whose party won the biggest bloc in recent parliamentary elections, said the deaths of 74 people in Egypt’s worst ever soccer violence had been orchestrated by an “invisible” hand.

Angry politicians and sports officials decried a lack of security at the match in Port Said between local team al-Masry and Egypt’s most successful club, Al Ahli, and blamed the nation’s leaders for allowing – or even causing – the tragedy.

“This confirms that there is invisible planning that is behind this unjustified massacre. The authorities have been negligent,” the group said in a statement on its website.

“We fear that some officers are punishing the people for their revolution and for depriving them of their ability to act as tyrants and restricting their privileges,” it added.

Egypt has been ruled by a military council since President Hosni Mubarak was ousted in a popular uprising a year ago. The newly-elected parliament is to convene for an emergency session today to discuss the violence.

The Muslim Brotherhood, whose Freedom and Justice Party secured almost half the seats the first election since Mubarak’s ouster, is under pressure to use its newly-won parliamentary power to help restore order.

The Brotherhood statement said the cycle of violence was encouraged by the failure to track down and punish the perpetrators of repeated acts of violence in recent months.

Crime and violence have surged since Mubarak’s ouster and the police, demoralised and reviled for their use of force against peaceful protestors during the uprising, have yet to fully reassert themselves on the streets.

“We warn authorities against any attempts to destroy or burn Egypt or demolish its institutions. There must be firmness in applying the rule of law to everyone, without regard for internal or external pressure,” the Brotherhood statement said.

The “April 6” youth group, which played a major role in the uprising that ousted Mubarak, said Wednesday’s soccer violence had been planned by the military council.

“Those who cannot secure and protect a soccer match cannot protect a nation at large,” the group added.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.